Used Canister Filter

Zodiak246

On 5/3/2022 at 2:21 PM, zodiak245 said:

I just got a used Canister Filter. How can I clean it? 

Start with some warm water and papertowels to wipe out the canister and use a brush to scrub it clean if needed (new one nothing that has had soap or cleaners.) I would then clean up any hardwater deposits with a vinegar soak. Best thing to do would be to chuck out all the filter media and retain the baskets. Clean the baskets and start with brand new media per your manufacturer if you're new to canisters. I would also soak the hoses and inlet/outlet parts in a bucket of hot water mixed with vinegar to clean up any deposits. If the filter came off a running tank, I would also consider finding out how to steralize it. Some filters are OK with bleach, others are not. You'll need to let us know what filter it is or look up what the manufacturer recommends. 

On 5/3/2022 at 2:54 PM, Tihshho said:

Start with some warm water and papertowels to wipe out the canister and use a brush to scrub it clean if needed (new one nothing that has had soap or cleaners.) I would then clean up any hardwater deposits with a vinegar soak. Best thing to do would be to chuck out all the filter media and retain the baskets. Clean the baskets and start with brand new media per your manufacturer if you're new to canisters. I would also soak the hoses and inlet/outlet parts in a bucket of hot water mixed with vinegar to clean up any deposits. If the filter came off a running tank, I would also consider finding out how to steralize it. Some filters are OK with bleach, others are not. You'll need to let us know what filter it is or look up what the manufacturer recommends. 

it is an eheim 2215

Oh, perfect. Very easy to clean then. Take off the pump housing (lid), remove the basket (can't remember if this one has one or not of if thats only the 2213) and wipe out the interior. Let it soak with warm water if necessary. with vinegar if there are any calcium deposits. As for the media, again trash it. If there is a basket, soak it in the canister with said warm water with vinegar if there are any deposits. Scrub the basket (again if there is one) and rinse everything with warm water. If it were me, I'd replace the hoses just to be sure the length is exactly what you need for your setup, and it's nice to start with clean hoses. Soak and scrub the inlet and outlet parts so they are clean. If you happen to have a tube cleaning brush run it through a couple times post soaking. 

When it comes to media I would start with buying replacements offered for the 2215, specifically the fine and course sponges. In terms of bio-media, you're able to run the Eheim ball style media or you can run other things like bioballs, bio rings, Seachem Matrix, etc etc. I wouldn't run carbon in the filter, but that's me. If you choose to, just be sure to replace it every few weeks for the best performance. 

I would also look into getting new seals for the filter before you run it. Used canisters can have o-rings that have dried or cracked. Rather than lubricating the o-ring, just get a replacement as it is a solid investment. Be sure to remove the impeller cover and clean the impeller. Check the impeller for wear as well as the impeller shaft. If anything mechanical looks worn, now is the time to replace it. 

From there make sure everything is clean, add some water to the canister to prime, attach the hoses to the body, add your inlet and outlets and connect to the tank and you're done. 

**BE SURE NOT TO USE CHEMICALS WHEN CLEANING, NOR USING SCRUBBING TOOLS THAT HAVE BEEN USED WITH CHEMICALS**

• Like 1

o rings are a good call. no way to know how old or how theyve been treated.  wipe it out good like the others said, and i would stick the inlet and outlet into a 5 gallon bucket filled with warm water mixed with some vinegar, and let it run for an hour or three.

• Like 2

Also look VERY closely at the mounts for the metal clips that keep the two halves together. Those are the weakest link for an Eheim canister filter. If one breaks, you're usually ok, as long as it has a good o-ring. If 2 or more are broken, I would not recommend using it.

Good luck with the new (to you) filter! I've been using Eheims for many years.

Edited by Tazalanche

On 5/3/2022 at 9:05 PM, Brian said:

Question… kind of off topic, but not.  I always coat any and all O-Rings with petroleum jelly.    Does anyone else do this?  Just curious 

Petroleum jelly works, but it's not ideal in the long run. I've actually found that overtime it causes o-rings to degrade. The best stuff to use is a food grade silicon lubricant. 

On 5/3/2022 at 8:31 PM, Tihshho said:

Petroleum jelly works, but it's not ideal in the long run. I've actually found that overtime it causes o-rings to degrade. The best stuff to use is a food grade silicon lubricant. 

that or they make special grease for water valve washers/faucets.

• Like 1