Nematods

BenA

Hi all, I need some help.

One of my Angels has what I think now to be Nematods.

About a week ago I have noticed that its abdomen is swollen so I moved it to a quarantine tank. initially I took it to be Dropsy so treated with salt and Octozin (made by Waterlife), today I have noticed the worms coming out. I have changed 50% of the water and inserted carbon in order to remove the Octozin left overs (as can't mix it with anything else). Tomorrow, I will perform another water change and then will treat with NDX (Made by eSHA). They recommend X1 treatment, then, on day 2 to perform 50% water change.

I will thank you all for more advice and tips? Also, do I treat the main tank? If so how and with what?  

Thank you

Angel 1.jpg

Angel 2.jpg

Angel.jpg

Looks like a bad case of Camallanus worms. Best of luck treating this as I've seen entire fishrooms be takenout from them. Be sure to steralize your equipment and don't introduce water, fish, plants or equipment from an infected tank to another tank that isn't showing symptoms. Post QT I'd highly recommend steralizing the QT. Good luck!

Definitely camallanus worms. Another user recently had these in their betta! The thread of their treatment and subsequent results (which appear to be positive, which is why I'm mentioning it) can be found here:

Thank you guys, at the mean time I have found this: 

"WATERLIFE RESEARCH STERAZIN - parasiticide. STERAZIN is used or the control of gill and body parasites which cause fish to flick when no symptoms are visible to the unaided eye. STERAZIN will also aid the control of internal parasites such as Round Worm, Thread Worm, and Intestinal Worm. In order to destroy the parasites in all stages of their life cycle you will need to use the product on days 1, 3, 6, 8 and 10. STERAZIN may also be used to aid the sterilisation of aquatic plants and is highly biodegradable. Do not use when crustaceans, echinoderms, rays, seawater sharks, pirahna, sturgeon or sterlets and related species are present. In these instances use Waterlife PARAGON. Suitable for seawater, tropical freshwater and coldwater aquaria. Available in: 60ml (5 day course for 180 litres)"

The active ingredient in waterlife sterazin won't treat camallanus worms Esha ndx active ingredient is levamisole or a product contains fenbendazole is what you want to treat with it take 4 course of treatment 1 week a part to treat in some cases you might have to do an extra course of treatment 

Edited by Colu
  • Love 1

Thanks @Colu

Yesterday morning I have treated the infected fish in a quarantine tank as well as the 400ltr display tank with eSHA NDX. Per the instructions, this evening I have changed 50% of the water in both tanks. I have cleared some worms from the quarantine tank's bottom but the fish's belly is still swollen with some visible worms that are keep on coming out (I guess it is good). Do I clean the bottom tomorrow or do I leave it? Just to clarify, you suggest to treat again in a week, is it for both tanks or just the quarantine with the infected fish? What do I feed the fish?

Thank you.

Edited by BenA

I would treat your Qarantine and display tank once a week for the four weeks if your see worms on the bottom of your Qarantine tank then I would siphon them out I would feed frozen or live brine shrimp or daphnia they are easier for fish to digest

Edited by Colu

...and another fish.

The original started to struggle so I have decided to end its sufferings.

Last week I have noticed that another Angel has something so removed it from the main tank. I have treated the main tank (X2) and the fish (X2).

I have looked at the fish and can see something that I Don't understand. Other than that the fish looks very well, fins are spread and when it sees me by the glass it doesn't retreat but attack the glass.

Yesterday and today I have given it blood worms (haven't got anything else at the moment) and it ate few but didn't finish.

How should I read all of this?

Thanks20220509_165954.jpg.65a7649ced311b66dfe0c428b6b73588.jpg20220509_165642.jpg.5c5ee6be37c5d8bf5217ec8c9bdf73fa.jpg20220509_165850.jpg.9698486de4a670b99301ddf89f531c55.jpg

On 5/9/2022 at 9:38 PM, Tihshho said:

Does it look like a tube? If so it could be the vent. This would be normal.

Yes it does. Few days ago it was much larger though.

Thank you