ID please

hello everyone! brand new here. so I was at my LFS and found this little guy, they had him listed as a Hillstream Loach,  without a doubt he is a loach but something about the ID I feel is off. or not specific enough. any thoughts would be appreciated! 

thank you!

20220501_125924.jpg

20220501_125920.jpg

20220501_125912.jpg

On 5/1/2022 at 6:30 PM, unexplorednorth said:

ok thats what I thought. no guesses what he might be though?

Is he very small? If so I think it could be a Hillstream.   He looks a lot like mine. Can you get a better pic? I'm thinking they get wider so to speak when they get bigger. Heck, maybe mine was mislabeled too!  lol

Try to get a pic when he's on the glass, or something flat anyway. 

Edited by Wrencher_Scott

On 5/1/2022 at 7:37 PM, Wrencher_Scott said:

Is he very small? If so I think it could be a Hillstream.   He looks a lot like mine. Can you get a better pic? I'm thinking they get wider so to speak when they get bigger. Heck, maybe mine was mislabeled too!  lol

Try to get a pic when he's on the glass, or something flat anyway. 

I'll post a couple other photos i have of him, I dont think they are as great

On 5/1/2022 at 8:47 PM, Lowells Fish Lab said:

Here's a couple photos of juvenile reticulated hillstream loaches, if that helps.

image.png.e07bc7b3ae3989bf19581775b3cead3e.png

image.png.3392a729dcccad4bf1a64a87fa199ca3.png

yah I dont believe they are the same species. the fish in my LFS was not interested in going on the glass at all he stuck to the bottom and under drift wood. very narrow body and very pointed face not as rounded like the pics you provided

very small, maybe only 1 cm in length, very thin and had a long thin face, downward facing mouth at like a 45 degree angle roughly. 

20220501_125854.jpg

20220501_125900.jpg

That appears to be a Spotted Lizard Loach (Psuedohomoloptera leonardi) they will sometimes be labeled as a hillstream loach and are fairly rare in the trade industry I believe all of them are wild caught. 

They are a social loach native to fast moving streams in Thailand and Malaysia. I plan on buying some green alligators for my stream biotope if I can find them.

On 5/2/2022 at 1:26 PM, Biotope Biologist said:

That appears to be a Spotted Lizard Loach (Psuedohomoloptera leonardi) they will sometimes be labeled as a hillstream loach and are fairly rare in the trade industry I believe all of them are wild caught. 

They are a social loach native to fast moving streams in Thailand and Malaysia. I plan on buying some green alligators for my stream biotope if I can find them.

thanks! that definitely looks like it could be it!