Care questions

I have 2 plant questions. 

The first is about my tiger lotus. I know you need to clip the leaves they send shooting up if you want it to stay low and grow outward. I have had this for almost 3 months now and never saw a leave get shot up. It's possible that's because most of that time I had crappy lighting and recently upgraded it. I'm wondering if the one in the back should be clipped already or if it needs to be higher. 

2nd is crypt wendetii. From my knowledge this plant does not need the same as tiger lotus, but I want to check since it does appear it's shooting one leaf up. I wasn't entirely sure if that was of concern.

Ok I thought of a 3rd. I'm not entirely sure if I'm using my root tabs correctly. I have 2 spots where the plants that need them are located. I have been putting 1 near each location about once a month. Should I be placing more so their roots spread to other spots?  Is once a month accurate?

20220429_194207.jpg

20220429_194212.jpg

Don’t know anything about the lotus.

The tall one looks like an emersed leaf.  Is the plant new?  I would leave it alone unless/until it melts.  

I generally surround the plant with root tabs about an inch or so away from the crown.  For the crypt, I would place two or three in every one or two months.  

• Thanks 1

On 4/29/2022 at 11:08 PM, Ken Burke said:

The tall one looks like an emersed leaf.  Is the plant new?  I would leave it alone unless/until it melts.  

It's about a month old. It sounds like I was right on how often to place the tabs but might wanna add a few more. 

I would not clip the lotus yet. Some leaves get a touch taller without shooting way up.  If it starts to shoot it is unmistakable growth.  The crypt I’m new to crypts but my understanding is they grow to a certain height and don’t need clipped unless leaves are damaged. I don’t use root tabs so no clue. 

• Thanks 1

Both look great and are doing what they are supposed to! Thee greener leaves on the crypt are the old leaves, and your new leaves are coming in redder and more dense. It is showing you it loves the light and nutrients you are giving it!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/30/2022 at 8:53 AM, AndreaW said:

Both look great and are doing what they are supposed to! Thee greener leaves on the crypt are the old leaves, and your new leaves are coming in redder and more dense. It is showing you it loves the light and nutrients you are giving it!

Oh that makes me feel better ty! I'm still learning with plants. Since they show changes much slower than fish I sometimes worry if I'm doing it right. I got a new light about a month ago and have noticed the lotus leaves have gotten MUCH bigger since. I assume it's made a good impact on all the plants. I'm hoping this crypt makes lots of babies so I can sell them hehe.