weeping willows inside, Will they drip sap if grow in a fish tank?

I picked up a bunch of weeping willow cutting on the side of the road today, with the thoughts of rooting them in my tanks.

A friend told me never to plant a weeping willow near a parking place because it will weep sticky sap all over your car.

If I put these cuttings in my tanks, will they drip sticky sap all over everything? Should I save them for an outdoor pond instead?

Thanks

Edited by KittenFishMom

I might have never noticed it, but never had issues with willows and sap. Only trees that seems to be sap issues for me in the past were birch and pine. I grew up with my Dad setting up cuttings in our out door tubs in the summer, so it shouldn't cause any issue for the fish. 

• Thanks 1

I can't speak to the sap issue, but I can say that willows are famous for being easy to root, so you could probably stick them in a bucket of tank water and set them aside and they will do their thing without a risk of impacting your tanks.

• Thanks 1

Willows are fast growers so you're going to have to maintain the growth of the cuttings as well as the roots depending on how well they thrive. Going with Pothos or something else might be a bit easier than dealing with a mini tree.

• Thanks 1

@Tihshho I am spend most of my time caring for my very ill mother at her home. I can only spend a very small amount of time every few days caring for my tanks. I was going to euthanize my fish, but the folks on the forum told me ways o keep the tanks going. It is early spring here, so the willow should take a lot of nitrogen out of the water as they put on new growth. I spread my guppy fry out into all 5 10-tanks, hoping some would live and others might feed the bigger fish. Most of the fry are thriving and increasing the bio-load.  As soon as I have the time and energy, I will sort and give most of the fry to a local fish store. In the mean time, I am feeding lightly and topping off the tanks with bottled spring water (and wonder shells) because we had well problem just when Mom started needing 24*7 care. When things settle down, we will get the well repaired.

The willows are not a long term plan. They were in a pile on the road side on my way to the cottage. They are covered with tiny young leave. I hoped I could use them to control nitrogen for a while.  Everything is in a holding pattern, while I trying to care for Mom and my tanks. Of course, Mom comes first. I will re home the willows when I no longer need them.

On 4/25/2022 at 4:01 PM, KittenFishMom said:

I picked up a bunch of weeping willow cutting

I like this willow idea!  They are easy to root.  They do well in wet areas long-term.  They are known to love fertile soil, and generally be nitrogen hogs.  I think it could work out well for you, and is definitely worth the try.  Very clever idea!

In terms of sap, willows aren't know for being particularly problematic, unless they have an aphid outbreak.  That seems less likely inside.  I hope you report back about how this shapes up for you.  I'm really curious how it works out.  Might be the new mangrove for nitrate reduction you have there! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

@OnlyGenusCapsI have mangroves in the tanks, but have had very little growth on them. Until Mom got suddenly very ill, I was not letting nitrates get above 40 mmps. I just skimmed the article they said nitrates could go much high without hurting the fish. I just wish the well problem had not messed up my nitrogen cycles.  I'm using Fritz 7 and Stability and it is coming back into shape. I'm trying to keep myself from testing the tanks because I don't have time or energy to do water changes.  The guppy fry seem to be eating the solids produced by the bigger fish, so even while I am feeding lightly, they are growing surprisingly fast.

• Like 1

On 4/26/2022 at 11:10 AM, KittenFishMom said:

I have mangroves in the tanks, but have had very little growth on them.

That is a problem many, many people experience with mangroves.  And in actuality using that species is a carryover over from the SW side of the hobby.  I don't know of anyone who has tried to find the FW tree equivalent.  The lucky bamboo that @dasaltemelosguy studied get big, but there might be advantages to willow as well.  I don't know.  Not sure at this point anyone does.  I think it is wonderful that you are turning adversity into a learning opportunity.  I wish more of the world did the same.  I look forward to your updates on this project.  And, although I can't presume to know that that is, I wish you the best possible scenario with your mother.  Be well. 

• Like 3

@OnlyGenusCapsI have lucky bamboo in an HOB, It is doing more than the Mangrove, but not a lot. I had great luck with turnups earlier, you can search of "turnup triumphs" etc in the forum for photos. I just haven't thought of them while in the store. Too much on my mind. Turnips are cheap and grow fast if you just rest the very bottom in the HOB's water flow.

Mom has an appt at 4:40. Only one person can go, so my husband who is stronger lifting her in and out of the car is going. I will be patched in by phone. Mom may decide on Hospice. I think it will depends on what the Dr says. I'm very tense.

• Like 1

@OnlyGenusCapsWe will stop the Rx to increase her platelets and try to get her GI track back on track. then possibly start a new Rx.

I was fishing for bullhead and just caught a Northern Pike from the from lawn here at the cottage. After a quick photo shoot, it is back in the lake

1400108246_npiketote.jpg.a5d1de4112bf86a33eb074dcda21ece3.jpg

2074997288_npike.jpg.c4e782324b5b5a1b516a0251207df66f.jpg

Note: For those interested in such things. I used a large circle hook and a chicken heart off the front lawn. (Chicken hearts are SO much better and cheaper than worms. They last ages in the freezer. Freeze a single layer in a zippered sandwich bag. Transport several stacked bags to keep cold. Use whole to avoid catching fish too small to clean. Use semi-thawed stationary bottom bait, as the blood in the heart chambers thaws and it draws the fish to the bait. Thaw and cut into strips to attack minnow and worm eating fish. Great for people learning to bait a hook, because chicken hearts stay still while being put on the hook. Heart muscles are very strong and stay on the hook cast after cast after cast. ) 

Edited by KittenFishMom
  • Like 2
  • Love 2

@PineSong I have been fishing for Bullheads for Mom. I take them to her house alive in a dark covered tote and clean them just before I cook them so they are super fresh and low stress. It is one of the few things she will eat very much of. I put the pike back in the lake and have caught one bullhead. I hope to catch more. The water conditions are right for them. I will take them to her tomorrow.

I agree I think my mind is more tired than my body. When I am not caring for her directly, I am trying to find trustworthy caregivers, scheduling, figuring out who worked when and figuring who has been paid for which hours. I have power of attorney, so I have to have a complete paper trail of everything.  Hopefully things will start to settle into place soon. 

• Like 2

The weeping willow branches are I got on the side of the road, are very long and thin.. I can put the cut end in my tank the roll the leafy end in a loose circle and put it next to the window glass, behind the shade, so the plant is in full sun, while the tank is out of the sun. I may put a hook above or on the sides the window to tie the branches to keep them from dropping away from the glass.

On 4/26/2022 at 8:45 PM, KittenFishMom said:

The weeping willow branches are I got on the side of the road, are very long and thin.. I can put the cut end in my tank the roll the leafy end in a loose circle and put it next to the window glass, behind the shade, so the plant is in full sun, while the tank is out of the sun. I may put a hook above or on the sides the window to tie the branches to keep them from dropping away from the glass.

That's brilliant!

I have found the 3M hooks (double sided tape) are fabulous for training pothos and philodendron up the wall. Here, I get 8 hooks & 12 sticky tapes rated up to ½ pound for ~ $6, so cost effective for what I need.

Just be sure to wipe the wall with rubbing alcohol and let it dry thoroughly, or the 3M hooks may pop off as the willows grow. 

If the decision is made for hospice, I hope you get a team as awesome as we found for my MIL last year. Support during this time is so undervalued, and makes such a huge difference in quality of life. 

• 1 year later...

@Allan I had great luck with the weeping willow outside in a tote full of water and duckweed and some guppies. I think the frogs ate the guppies. I had an airstone in the tote. The willows rooted very well and we potted them in a cool greenhouse and will plant them this summer.

All the branches in the heated tropical tanks died rather quickly. I don't think they liked the warm water.  I have have red emerald philodendrons growing like mad in my tropical tanks now.

Good luck.

• Like 1