How do I predict how Easy Green will effect nitrate levels?

How much should 1ml (1 pump) of Easy Green increase Nitrates in a 5 gallon aquarium?

I've been trying to get my nitrates up to 50ppm (a la https://www.aquariumcoop.com/blogs/aquarium/nitrate).  And I'm having trouble getting it that high, and I'm getting nervous about how much I'm fertilizing and how it might affect my shrimp.  As a sanity check, I'd like to be able to estimate how much 1ml of easy green should boost my nitrate levels before I dose.

So, how do I translate the "guaranteed analysis" information on the bottle in to change-in-ppm-per-ml-per-gallon?  Or, equivalently, what's the nitrate ppm of Easy Green?

-steve

an easy way to measure this would be to take a known amount of water, say a 5 gallon bucket filled up, and pump one pump of easy green in. You should then be able to test for nitrates out of the bucket once it has had a chance to mix. I would test before you add the easy green and after to ensure you're not reading any false nitrates coming from the tap. 

• Administrators

I'd have to dig it up, but I believe it's like 1ml is 2.3 ppm of nitrate at 10 gallons if I'm recalling off the top of my head correctly. The challenge is most test kits can't test that low and start at about 10ppm. That aside, I wouldn't try to get your nitrates to 50. Instead I would try to keep them at 20+ but below 50. The goal is to not run out is all. Having 50 vs 20, doesn't improve anything.

Hi @memorywrangler, I did the calculation a while ago (not 100% is correct but the number matches with the number @Mmiller2001 got from an email from Candy) and attached the screenshot below. Ultimately, 1 pump (1 mL) of Easy Green in 5 gallons of water should increase Nitrate by a little over 6ppm. However, it could be slightly more assuming you have things in the aquarium displacing water (substrate, rocks, etc). I hope that helps! 

D58C3C5E-C4CF-4643-AE4D-D353B312E6C1.jpeg.057c6005e542a1f852d8575e626c490c.jpeg