Red emergent plants

Someone here had  a Riparium style garden tank with reds and pinks. I thought it was @Isaac M but cannot find reds. I have coleus and Tradescantia zebrinas(inchplant) on my list to get at the nursery tomorrow. I also currently already have polka dot plants  and African violets. I have different green plants galore. 

Anyone have suggestions for reds, pinks, purples, blues, violets? Any not predominantly green plants that can grow roots only in the tank would be fantastic please. 

Thanks for the help.  

Edited by Guppysnail

@Guppysnail yeah unfortunately it was not me, but I appreciate you thinking of me! The only plant I have ever grown above water with any red in it was Hygrophila Corymbosa that was getting a lot of light. Other than that I have no experience with riparian plants that are not green, however here is a list of plants that I have seen others succeed with or say that have succeeded with: 

-Red Ludwigia species

-Rotala (I have only ever seen it get a red stem with green leaves though) 

-Scarlet Temple 

-Fittonia 

-Prayer Plant can have some red in it(I am growing a all green variety that grows well)

-Dragons Tongue has some purple underneath the leaves 

-Pilea Mollis Moon Valley is green but has some cool texture and darker colors to it

-Tulip Anthurium is green but has some colorful blooms 

-Callisia Repens Pink Panther 

I know some of these are predominantly green but just wanted to include them just in case. Again, I do not have a lot of personal experience with these but others claim to be successful. Good luck and have fun at the plant nursery! 

• Thanks 1

@Isaac M thank you. I gleaned Fittonia and prayer plant off of you tube Plantlife Project. I. Think the ichplant, Coleus and my polka dot plants are going to be my go to for color. I could not find much else either. 

PS. I finally got my clownfish 😁 it’s only a mouse pad but hey 🤷🏼‍♀️

F03310FE-EBCE-4F4B-98FD-C9A50145E7FB.jpeg

• Love 1

@Guppysnail that sounds like a great list, usually the reds look nicer, well at least in my opinion, when they have a nice lush green background to contrast against. 

I will be adding some riparian plants to my 55 gallon so I will do some experimenting and let you know if I find something colorful that works. 

Hahaha I love the mousepad! That is one way to get a clownfish for sure haha I need to update my aquarium journal but I have quite a few new fish. You will be happy to know that my clownfish now has a best friend that he hangs out with all day, here is a video of them eating live baby brine shrimp together:

6C538884-1122-4D74-A932-4CEE85885AC2.gif.1ad449d838bc69571686c3bb2ec9a996.gif

• Love 1

Ludwigia Repens did well as an emergent for me. The stalk was red, but even with full sun the leaves never turned red for me unless they got a shock of cold. There's also red versions of Amazon swords, but I can't get it to keep emergent growth without alot of humidity. Every time it does emerge, the leaf dries up and collapses in a day. 

As a general rule, I think most stem plants will grow out of water if given a chance

• Thanks 1

Since I had zero luck at red aquarium plants until last year, my reds were always terrestrial potted and then rooted cuttings in tanks.

Of course, this was before the internet was around to tell me I couldn't do what I was doing😂

Caladium, fittonia, various croton, red dracaena, purple passion plant, and purple jasmine were some of the ones I had the most success with.

• Thanks 1