Viewing window for 300 gallon stock tank

Beau Burkhalter

So I’m wondering if I can put a viewing window in this stock tank. It would be two very small ones on each side where it’s very flat. My question is will silicone bond glass to this? Or is there another way to go about doing it? I don’t think filling it with water would have an effect on flexing the plastic because it’s very rigid. Advice needed…

8F66FD34-6753-42D5-938F-8AC0B5B6095C.jpeg

• Like 2

First off, I’m loving this tub! I have “tub envy!”

Now, in my opinion, there are reasons to take pause on your idea. Maybe it could work… but I suspect it won’t do exactly what you’re wanting.

The angle at which a person would have to crouch to really enjoy this doesn’t seem to make it worthwhile. Most ponds  benefit from some plant cover too, increasing the darkness. Additionally, tubs work well because the grow a lot of unsightly algae, molm, green water, etc that are exactly what we despise looking at in our aquariums normally. So, at least bear these factors in mind.

Now, as for silicone, I imagine that a piece of glass or Lexxan could be sealed into place. You wouldn’t need to make it look neat if you affixed it to the inside. Then just add a neat line of seal on the outside. But troubleshoot this now… if even a small leak occurs, you’re going to lose a lot if water volume. As long as it’s in a place where that doesn’t matter much, all’s well. But if you’re right next to your house, that could be a problem.

I love outdoor tubbing! Hope you have great success. And don’t let my worries discourage you. Sometimes it’s fun to prove the internet wrong! And I’d be very happy for you if it did work! 

Edited by Fish Folk
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/14/2022 at 12:31 PM, Beau Burkhalter said:

So I’m wondering if I can put a viewing window in this stock tank. It would be two very small ones on each side where it’s very flat. My question is will silicone bond glass to this? Or is there another way to go about doing it? I don’t think filling it with water would have an effect on flexing the plastic because it’s very rigid. Advice needed…

I think this came up on goliad farms. They do repairs to their tubs because of issues with specific corners that receive damage over time and have a weak spot. They have to use a very specific tool and end up plastic welding it.

I would think you need to use a port / hole style window with rubber gaskets. (think, submarine window) which would just be a lot of work but extremely reliable.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 4/15/2022 at 11:37 AM, nabokovfan87 said:

I think this came up on goliad farms. They do repairs to their tubs because of issues with specific corners that receive damage over time and have a weak spot. They have to use a very specific tool and end up plastic welding it.

I would think you need to use a port / hole style window with rubber gaskets. (think, submarine window) which would just be a lot of work but extremely reliable.

I think that's the ticket. Or maybe something like a pool light lens assembly. You could diy a lot of things really. Gaskets being better than silicone IMO.

To clarify, using the assembly face plate, gasket and fasteners. With a clear polycarbonate window.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 4/18/2022 at 12:31 PM, eatyourpeas said:

I would just get a camera... no risk of leaks and can get into the darker places with a light.

oh..... that reminds me of something.  On Disney+ there is a documentary of a conservationist and her journey (Playing with Sharks).  She talks about Jacques Cousteau and how they didn't have anything to hold their camera equipment and keep it water safe. Overall, amazing hour of your life, but that comment she made is specifically relevant here as well.

Maybe with that clip in mind (I'm sorry, I can't find a clip of it, the entire documentary is on youtube).  Maybe something like this will inspire an idea to make something as well.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have one of these 300-gallon stock tanks and some smaller ones. Yes, the do bow when filled with water. Rubbermaid stock tanks are made from polyethylene. Nothing sticks to polyethylene, and you can't glue polyethylene. Also, keep in mind that Rubbermaid stock tanks are made of foam. Foam is one of the reasons they are difficult to weld.

Unless you have money to burn, I would not try to install a window. If it doesn't work, you'll have a $300 piece of scrap plastic plus the cost of everything else.

r