What is wrong with my shrimp!

Caidenh24

I got some shrimp on sunday and I just saw today that they have been laying one their sides and twitching. All of them have stopped but one. They were all doing this but he is still doing it. He is like bending his back In like a U shape. and twitches. He is also laying on his side when he does this. He has also gotten worse it is like back and worth like worse to better then back to worse. Right now he only moves when you shine light at him. All help is appreciated! Thanks!

On 4/12/2022 at 10:41 PM, Caidenh24 said:

bending his back In like a U shape

I agree with @DaveO  that sounds like molting. They do it usually very shortly after being added to a new tank with different water parameters.  They are still because inside the shell they are now detached from the shell towards the end they no longer even have the legs in the leg casings. It takes longer for them to molt when added to a different tank because it is actually a premature molt. Their shell then hardens using the new water chemistry to make it so it works in the now water. If they turn pure white inside or pinkish/orangish they have passed. Not all shrimp successfully make the premature molt.  Crossing my fingers for you. Shrimp are very fun critters. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 4/13/2022 at 5:26 AM, Guppysnail said:

I agree with @DaveO  that sounds like molting. They do it usually very shortly after being added to a new tank with different water parameters.  They are still because inside the shell they are now detached from the shell towards the end they no longer even have the legs in the leg casings. It takes longer for them to molt when added to a different tank because it is actually a premature molt. Their shell then hardens using the new water chemistry to make it so it works in the now water. If they turn pure white inside or pinkish/orangish they have passed. Not all shrimp successfully make the premature molt.  Crossing my fingers for you. Shrimp are very fun critters. 

ok thanks! they are still like this since when I posted. They walk around though or at least stand up so It is weird. What makes there shells harden? Also why do you need calcium and the other minerals for them to molt successfully. I feel like that would make there shell harder? it is a 5.4 gallon QT tank  NItrate 0, nitrite 0, Ammonia - 0 to maybe 0.25 kind of hard to tell. I am leaning towards 0 though. ph-7.2 maybe closer to 7, kh is 120 ppm, Gh looks around like 10 ppm My water is really soft here. I am not sure how to change the GH with that high of a buffer. I only had prazi pro and aquarium salt. I accidentally highlighted this and I don´t know how to take it off.  Thanks for the help!

On 4/12/2022 at 10:25 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

I would suggest moving this to the diseases section to get the right support.

What is the setup, tank parameters, water results, etc?

What kind of shrimp?

Can you attach photos or video of anything you're seeing please.

it is a 5.4 gallon QT tank  NItrate 0, nitrite 0, Ammonia - 0 to maybe 0.25 kind of hard to tell. I am leaning towards 0 though. ph-7.2 maybe closer to 7, kh is 120 ppm, Gh looks around like 10 ppm My water is really soft here. I am not sure how to change the GH with that high of a buffer. I only had prazi pro and aquarium salt. I accidentally highlighted this and I don´t know how to take it off.  Sorry I don’t have any photos I just left. Oh also they are cherry shrimp!

Edited by Caidenh24

They use calcium and magnesium to harden their shell. When they molt it cracks in predetermined areas to allow them to escape. If they do not have enough or way to much it either cracks in wrong areas or not at all. Then they cannot escape the current shell and can’t grow or get stuck and pass away from being incapable of proper movement to feed. 
That’s a long time. Monitor they may be having a hard time adjusting. A lot of shrimp do. Look super close as long as they occasionally move the front legs they are still ok. If they are still laying on their sides with no movement remove them. They have passed. 

Add some wondershells since you have soft water. 

Edited by Guppysnail
Add on
  • Like 1

On 4/13/2022 at 6:47 AM, Guppysnail said:

They use calcium and magnesium to harden their shell. When they molt it cracks in predetermined areas to allow them to escape. If they do not have enough or way to much it either cracks in wrong areas or not at all. Then they cannot escape the current shell and can’t grow or get stuck and pass away from being incapable of proper movement to feed. 
That’s a long time. Monitor they may be having a hard time adjusting. A lot of shrimp do. Look super close as long as they occasionally move the front legs they are still ok. If they are still laying on their sides with no movement remove them. They have passed. 

Ok I am at school right now but I will when I get home! How do I know if he has to much or to little calcium? Thanks!

Edited by Caidenh24

On 4/13/2022 at 6:51 AM, Caidenh24 said:

Ok I am at school right now but I will when I get home! How do I know if he has to much or to little calcium? Thanks!

Use test strips or a water test kit from API and you are looking to test KH and GH. If you have a lot of questions on shrimp flip aquatics is a great video resource on YouTube.

Your best bet is likely going to be to add crush  to your tank because this is a long term issue (wondershell works but will be more expensive)

You can also find a lot of articles in the aquarium coop blog as well for dealing with soft water.

Edited by nabokovfan87

On 4/13/2022 at 6:36 AM, Caidenh24 said:

I am leaning towards 0 though. ph-7.2 maybe closer to 7, kh is 120 ppm, Gh looks around like 10 ppm My water is really soft here. I am not sure how to change the GH with that high of a buffer. I only had prazi pro and aquarium salt.

https://www.aquariumcoop.com/blogs/aquarium/ph-gh-kh

Your two best options are equilibrium and/or crushed coral depending on what you specifically need to add to the water.

On 4/13/2022 at 10:30 AM, nabokovfan87 said:

Use test strips or a water test kit from API and you are looking to test KH and GH. If you have a lot of questions on shrimp flip aquatics is a great video resource on YouTube.

Your best bet is likely going to be to add crush  to your tank because this is a long term issue (wondershell works but will be more expensive)

You can also find a lot of articles in the aquarium coop blog as well for dealing with soft water.

Oh thanks! Will this affect my Ph? I only want the GH to change or the hardness not the ph. The ph is already really high. Thanks!

On 4/13/2022 at 12:05 PM, Caidenh24 said:

Oh thanks! Will this affect my Ph? I only want the GH to change or the hardness not the ph. The ph is already really high. Thanks!

from the blog post:

For example, limestone contains a high percentage of calcium carbonate, which contains both calcium and carbonate ions and therefore raises both GH and KH. If you want to increase only GH but not KH, you must increase the specific ions for GH (calcium and magnesium) without including ions that affect KH (carbonates and bicarbonates). In fact, African cichlid keepers often buy or create specific salt mixes to individually raise KH or GH.

As mentioned before, KH directly relates to pH because it prevents your pH from changing as quickly. In aquariums, pH levels tend to drop over time, so when KH is raised, more acid is neutralized and pH tends to stay higher. For instance, we’ve observed that if you have a higher pH of 8.0 and you add a buffering agent like crushed coral, KH will rise but the pH value doesn’t move as much. However, if you have a lower pH and add crushed coral, both pH and KH values tend to increase.

So your options are Seachem equilibrium or wondershells based on the article recommendations.

On 4/13/2022 at 3:42 PM, Caidenh24 said:

what minerals can I buy to only increase GH? Thanks

Everything is spelled out in the blog post I also bolded the sentence in the quote above.

GH: Calcium and Magnesium (Epsom salt or Equilibrium by Seachem if you want to avoid sodium ions)

KH: Carbonates (crushed coral)

Edited by nabokovfan87

On 4/13/2022 at 3:54 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

Everything is spelled out in the blog post I also bolded the sentence in the quote above.

GH: Calcium and Magnesium (Epsom salt or Equilibrium by Seachem if you want to avoid sodium ions)

On 4/13/2022 at 3:54 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

why would only one change and not the other in the first place? like if they are closely related why do I have low GH but high KH and PH? Thanks!

Edited by Caidenh24
  • Like 1

On 4/13/2022 at 7:20 AM, Guppysnail said:

It does but much slower.  Some cuttle bone that are not factory prepped correctly im guessing as they are no intended for fish tanks have rotted rather than slowly dissolved for me. 

They also float vs wondershells that sink

My cuttle bone sinks.

On 4/13/2022 at 5:37 PM, Caidenh24 said:

why would only one change and not the other in the first place? like if they are closely related why do I have low GH but high KH and PH? Thanks!

Because sometimes one is already present in the water. Hard water, just like everything comes in all varieties. The blog article also speaks about KH, GH, and how you can modify one to stop PH from crashing and killing fish.

On 4/12/2022 at 7:41 PM, Caidenh24 said:

I got some shrimp on sunday and I just saw today that they have been laying one their sides and twitching. All of them have stopped but one. They were all doing this but he is still doing it. He is like bending his back In like a U shape. and twitches. He is also laying on his side when he does this. He has also gotten worse it is like back and worth like worse to better then back to worse. Right now he only moves when you shine light at him. All help is appreciated! Thanks!

I have read that 10 gh is the most you should have, any more and they have a hard time molting because the shell is too hard. This can kill them. 

They also need very clean water. 

On 4/13/2022 at 11:44 PM, Wrencher_Scott said:

I have read that 10 gh is the most you should have, any more and they have a hard time molting because the shell is too hard. This can kill them. 

They also need very clean water. 

Ok Thanks!