Canister Filter

Thomas Guin

It's hard to say what kind of filtration would be sufficient without knowing what is in the tank besides water.

For example, does it have a lot of fish? If so, what kind and how many of each?

Does it have a lot of plants? Plants both take up ammonia as well as providing surface area for them to grow.

If I had a 200g, I'd likely be looking for a sump or two FX-series filters.

• Like 1

On 4/7/2022 at 8:04 AM, Biotope Biologist said:

You can use a canister the FX series by fluval are pretty beefy. I prefer using sumps, but I suppose it depends on stocking and whether you want to buy a sump or build one. 

Are sumps louder than a canister?

On 4/7/2022 at 11:23 AM, Colu said:

Fluval FX 6 rated for tanks up to 400 gallons you can add a spray bar and fluval uvc inline clarifier as well  they are great filters for larger tanks 

The listed filter circulation of an FX6 is 563gph. 

Better have a really lightly stocked 400g tank if you plan on running only one FX6.

• Like 1

Look into this, I like the way the cascades are setup. Even with this monster you will be limited on fish. 

I would fill this sucker up with K1 or K1 micro media and 30 ppi foam. The filter is only as good as it's media.

Penn-Plax Cascade Max Flow

Edited by Wrencher_Scott

On 4/7/2022 at 7:04 PM, Biotope Biologist said:

They are as loud or as quiet as the pump you choose I’d say.

@LisaS I fully agree with @Biotope Biologist!  A well designed sump, with a DC return pump should be so silent you are worried it has stopped working.

On 4/7/2022 at 7:34 PM, Wrencher_Scott said:

I would fill this sucker up with K1 or K1 micro media and 30 ppi foam.

I am no canister expert, so I'm honestly curious here.  Given that there is no advantage to the K1 unless you are tumbling it in a moving bed, can you do that in a canister?  I know some of them are big open spaces, which allows for more flexibility in media choices.  And I learned one brand allows for integrated heaters now.  Does this mean they can tumble K1 now as well?!  If so, canisters really are getting more advanced!  (I still like my sumps though 🤪)

• Like 1

On 4/8/2022 at 5:09 AM, OnlyGenusCaps said:

@LisaS I fully agree with @Biotope Biologist!  A well designed sump, with a DC return pump should be so silent you are worried it has stopped working.

I am no canister expert, so I'm honestly curious here.  Given that there is no advantage to the K1 unless you are tumbling it in a moving bed, can you do that in a canister?  I know some of them are big open spaces, which allows for more flexibility in media choices.  And I learned one brand allows for integrated heaters now.  Does this mean they can tumble K1 now as well?!  If so, canisters really are getting more advanced!  (I still like my sumps though 🤪)

No, it won't tumble in there. They are the same old canisters. lol.  But it will still work well simply because of the large surface area. I like K1 micro simply because it will have more surface area but it could clog easier I guess. 

My understanding of K1 tumbling is to keep it clean and the aeration is ideal for the bacteria. So with it static is still works but of course has less air. But anyway, no, it does not have to tumble. 

I just ordered a Cascade Optimizer to add to my Cascade 1000. It looks to come filled with super course foam (10ppi maybe), I'm thinking about filling it with K1 micro. I'm still researching if it will be worth it to fill it with like 30 ppi foam instead. Plus I haven't seen one in person yet. 

On 4/7/2022 at 2:36 PM, LisaS said:

Are sumps louder than a canister?

A fluidized bed sump filled with K1 would be the best filter. You can use power heads instead of air pumps to make it quiet. 

Is the tank drilled for overflow? If not I don't think I would even consider a sump. It can be done but I wouldn't mess with it. 

Edited by Wrencher_Scott
  • Thanks 1

On 4/7/2022 at 9:33 PM, AndEEss said:

An FX6 has the highest rated pump and likely highest flow rate at the output. And likely holds significantly more media.

If you can watch this without falling to sleep this guy says the Cascade holds twice the media as the other 2 (fx6 is one)