Jump to content

Co-Op species highlights or care guides?


Recommended Posts

VideoI don't know if there is one created.

Do we have a thread pinned somewhere that has a list of all the species that the co-op has done a dedicated care guide or "species spotlight" for? (or one done by the fish fam that is recommended viewing as well?)

The reason I ask, I was watching the youtube community stuff and there was a post of Dean with his plecos. It made me wonder of the difference between a clown vs. leopard frog pleco in terms of their backgrounds and origins.  Differences between the two. (apart from price)  Then I started thinking about 4-5 different families of plecos and in each of those branches the top 4-5 specific patterns that we tend to see a lot in the videos or online.

Just interesting stuff to me and I would like to hear someone like Dean, Cory, Jimmy, Lizzie, Robert, etc. etc. etc. basically anyone who loves the hobby the way that we see from the videos.... I would just really enjoy some content of being explained a bit more about some cool fish. 

SO.... the big question.  What species would you like to see a dedicated video for?

This is about as close of a photo I can find for mine... it's a variety of clown pleco. Second choice would be a bolivian ram highlight.

Clown-Pleco-Alone-600x600.jpg

EDIT: (Current Working List)

African Dwarf Frog Video

Amano Shrimp
Amazon Puffer

Angelfish

Apistogramma Video

Apistogramma agassizii

Arrowhead Puffer

Betta Video

Bichir

Black Ghost Knifefish

Black Neon Tetra
Blood Parrot Cichlid Video

Cardinal Tetra Video
CPD: Celestial Pearl Danios Video

Cherry Shrimp Video

Clown Killifish Video

Clown Loach

Corydoras (broadly speaking) Video

Discus Video

Dragon Puffer

Dwarf Chain Loach

Endler's Livebearer Video

Fancy Goldfish Video

Furcata Rainbowfish

German Blue Ram

Glofish Video

Green Neon Rasbora

Guppies Video

Harlequin Rasbora Video

Hatchetfish

Heterandria Formosa

Hillstream Loach Video

Honey Gourami Video

Kuhli Loach video

MBU Puffer

Mollies Video

Molly, Liberty Molly

Mystery Snail

Neon Tetra Video

Nerite Snails Video

Otocinclus Video 1 Video 2

Pea Puffer Video

Pencilfish

Platies Video
Pleco Video

Praecox Rainbow

Rainbow Shark

Rosy Barb

Shrimp (broadly speaking)

Silvertip Tetra

Tiger Barbs Video

White Cloud Mountain Minnows

Yellow Zebra Pleco - L199


 

Plants:
Marimo Moss Balls
Tiger Lotus

Windelov Java Fern

Edited by nabokovfan87
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/1/2022 at 1:40 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

I don't know if there is one created.

Do we have a thread pinned somewhere that has a list of all the species that the co-op has done a dedicated care guide or "species spotlight" for? (or one done by the fish fam that is recommended viewing as well?)

The reason I ask, I was watching the youtube community stuff and there was a post of Dean with his plecos. It made me wonder of the difference between a clown vs. leopard frog pleco in terms of their backgrounds and origins.  Differences between the two. (apart from price)  Then I started thinking about 4-5 different families of plecos and in each of those branches the top 4-5 specific patterns that we tend to see a lot in the videos or online.

Just interesting stuff to me and I would like to hear someone like Dean, Cory, Jimmy, Lizzie, Robert, etc. etc. etc. basically anyone who loves the hobby the way that we see from the videos.... I would just really enjoy some content of being explained a bit more about some cool fish. 

SO.... the big question.  What species would you like to see a dedicated video for?

This is about as close of a photo I can find for mine... it's a variety of clown pleco. Second choice would be a bolivian ram highlight.

Clown-Pleco-Alone-600x600.jpg

THAT is an EXCELLENT photo of a clown pleco.  I know because this is the last photo I got of mine back at the end of September.  If you look really closely and turn up your imaginoscope to it’s highest setting, you can see the edge of it’s right pectoral left of center and then moving right you can kind of make out it’s head and right eye.  Use your imagination, I’m telling you!  😝 😆 I’m assuming s/he’s still in there since I haven’t found a body.  🤷🏻‍♀️ 

 

4743E18E-1C9A-48CB-ACA8-B5B7B4046DF4.jpeg

I would love to see a really good write up of small pleco species that don’t cost a small fortune.  Plus maybe another write up of the ones that DO cost a small fortune.

Edited by Odd Duck
Typo
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/1/2022 at 12:03 PM, Odd Duck said:

THAT is an EXCELLENT photo of a clown pleco.  I know because this is the last photo I got of mine back at the end of September.  If you look really closely and turn up your imaginoscope to it’s highest setting, you can see the edge of it’s right pectoral left of center and then moving right you can kind of make out it’s head and right eye.  Use your imagination, I’m telling you!  😝 😆 I’m assuming s/he’s still in there since I haven’t found a body.  🤷🏻‍♀️ 

Here's mine. Finally came out to say good morning.

20220407_093037.JPG

  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Here’s my newest, brilliant pic of my clown pleco.

What’s that you say?  You can’t see him? I assure you he is alive and well in this little wood cave.  You saying my photography is garbage?  Well, you’d sure be right!  He really is in there somewhere but my phone wouldn’t focus on anything but the plants, then the bronze cory zooming by, then maybe for a fraction of a second on the cave wall above him.  I could barely see him in there but there was no way I was getting a decent pic.  But at least it was a sighting. What I could see of him looked OK.  I haven’t found anything that entices him out into the light.  Not green beans, not zucchini, not cucumber, not yellow squash, not kale, not any number of different pellets, algae/seaweed/bottom feeder wafers, nori seaweed wraps, Repashy, home-made snello, nothing.

 

296311E0-9600-44A3-9975-429714BC7EFE.jpeg

If you know exactly where to look and crank your imaginoscope to overload, you can almost, kind of make out the outline of a pleco body, upside down against the roof of the cave, with the faintest hint of banding on a tail that’s pointed at you.  Well, maybe you can.  I took the pic, I knew exactly where he was, and I can’t even make him out as anything but a dark blur.  😝 😂 🤣 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/7/2022 at 6:05 PM, Odd Duck said:

Here’s my newest, brilliant pic of my clown pleco.

What’s that you say?  You can’t see him? I assure you he is alive and well in this little wood cave.  You saying my photography is garbage?  Well, you’d sure be right!  He really is in there somewhere but my phone wouldn’t focus on anything but the plants, then the bronze cory zooming by, then maybe for a fraction of a second on the cave wall above him.  I could barely see him in there but there was no way I was getting a decent pic.  But at least it was a sighting. What I could see of him looked OK.  I haven’t found anything that entices him out into the light.  Not green beans, not zucchini, not cucumber, not yellow squash, not kale, not any number of different pellets, algae/seaweed/bottom feeder wafers, nori seaweed wraps, Repashy, home-made snello, nothing.

 

296311E0-9600-44A3-9975-429714BC7EFE.jpeg

If you know exactly where to look and crank your imaginoscope to overload, you can almost, kind of make out the outline of a pleco body, upside down against the roof of the cave, with the faintest hint of banding on a tail that’s pointed at you.  Well, maybe you can.  I took the pic, I knew exactly where he was, and I can’t even make him out as anything but a dark blur.  😝 😂 🤣 

Oh, the joys of "automatic" photography!!! I see a valiant effort was made!

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/7/2022 at 7:24 PM, Torrey said:

Oh, the joys of "automatic" photography!!! I see a valiant effort was made!

You should have seen me with my new flashlight (old one broke), shining it into the cave, trying to aim my phone into the cave, aiming around plant stems that are bright green and catch the light for easy focus by the phone camera, then dodging cories, all while my reluctant subject wiggled deeper into the cave.

But at least it was a live sighting.  🤷🏻‍♀️ Best I’ve had in over 6 months.  I’ll take it!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I suspect we could put together the clips, or if not clips the entire videos (which @JimmyGimbal has been putting chapters on, and I know from personal experience and work is a pita), in this post... maybe name the fish species and then add the links?

 

A while back I submitted an idea for putting together a book based on the information, that the Co-op could sell (e-book or physical) as I helped submit peer-reviewed research and edited a couple of chapters for similar put out by a fish group based out of Australia...

Legitimate concerns were raised regarding verification of information, etc.

I miss my old Axelrod's, and now that so much can be composed, edited, and updated online, I still think it would be a delightful idea to consolidate information into an easily searchable format.

Personally, I have been working on a spreadsheet with various species I am interested in, and I research water parameters, temperatures, breeding requirements, feeding, etc... so I cn cross-reference for compatibility with my known water parameters. Currently, it has a lot of links to ACO care guides, videos, etc, as well as a few dozen other sources... and notations on accuracy concerns and known contradictions.

I don't post in here, to prevent any potential issues/conflicts of interest for Cory & ACO. There's no reason that I am aware of that someone couldn't start a similar spreadsheet and limit the info to ACO links. I have a full plate right now, so I do not volunteer for that undertaking at the moment... but if someone else is interested and has time, I'm more than willing to answer questions/share knowledge! 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/1/2022 at 3:03 PM, Odd Duck said:

THAT is an EXCELLENT photo of a clown pleco.  I know because this is the last photo I got of mine back at the end of September.  If you look really closely and turn up your imaginoscope to it’s highest setting, you can see the edge of it’s right pectoral left of center and then moving right you can kind of make out it’s head and right eye.  Use your imagination, I’m telling you!  😝 😆 I’m assuming s/he’s still in there since I haven’t found a body.  🤷🏻‍♀️ 

 

4743E18E-1C9A-48CB-ACA8-B5B7B4046DF4.jpeg

I would love to see a really good write up of small pleco species that don’t cost a small fortune.  Plus maybe another write up of the ones that DO cost a small fortune.

Yes - what's the difference between a $12.95 pleco and a $375 one? Sometimes it seems like not that much. My spouse is getting NERMy, but I don't see him being ready to spend what some plecos cost.... yet.

On 4/7/2022 at 8:36 PM, Torrey said:

I suspect we could put together the clips, or if not clips the entire videos (which @JimmyGimbal has been putting chapters on, and I know from personal experience and work is a pita), in this post... maybe name the fish species and then add the links?

 

A while back I submitted an idea for putting together a book based on the information, that the Co-op could sell (e-book or physical) as I helped submit peer-reviewed research and edited a couple of chapters for similar put out by a fish group based out of Australia...

Legitimate concerns were raised regarding verification of information, etc.

I miss my old Axelrod's, and now that so much can be composed, edited, and updated online, I still think it would be a delightful idea to consolidate information into an easily searchable format.

Personally, I have been working on a spreadsheet with various species I am interested in, and I research water parameters, temperatures, breeding requirements, feeding, etc... so I cn cross-reference for compatibility with my known water parameters. Currently, it has a lot of links to ACO care guides, videos, etc, as well as a few dozen other sources... and notations on accuracy concerns and known contradictions.

I don't post in here, to prevent any potential issues/conflicts of interest for Cory & ACO. There's no reason that I am aware of that someone couldn't start a similar spreadsheet and limit the info to ACO links. I have a full plate right now, so I do not volunteer for that undertaking at the moment... but if someone else is interested and has time, I'm more than willing to answer questions/share knowledge! 

A wiki, perhaps?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/7/2022 at 5:36 PM, Torrey said:

A while back I submitted an idea for putting together a book based on the information, that the Co-op could sell (e-book or physical) as I helped submit peer-reviewed research and edited a couple of chapters for similar put out by a fish group based out of Australia..

Co-op wiki.... But yeah. I agree.

 

On 4/7/2022 at 5:36 PM, Torrey said:

Personally, I have been working on a spreadsheet with various species I am interested in, and I research water parameters, temperatures, breeding requirements, feeding, etc... so I cn cross-reference for compatibility with my known water parameters. Currently, it has a lot of links to ACO care guides, videos, etc, as well as a few dozen other sources... and notations on accuracy concerns and known contradictions.

I don't post in here, to prevent any potential issues/conflicts of interest for Cory & ACO. There's no reason that I am aware of that someone couldn't start a similar spreadsheet and limit the info to ACO links. I have a full plate right now, so I do not volunteer for that undertaking at the moment... but if someone else is interested and has time, I'm more than willing to answer questions/share knowledge! 

Sounds like useful and awesome work. Nice

On 4/7/2022 at 5:05 PM, Odd Duck said:

Here’s my newest, brilliant pic of my clown pleco.

What’s that you say?  You can’t see him? I assure you he is alive and well in this little wood cave.  You saying my photography is garbage?  Well, you’d sure be right!

I always love when I can see it perfectly, can't take a picture or the video is way too dark for absolutely no reason. I forget what L number or whatever it was I thought mine was related to, but needless to say, clown plecos are just fun. Even though they love to hide, they are so interesting.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm surprised people don't have any species they want to see highlighted!? 

List what you wish to see! I am going to edit the OP and try to put together a list with links just to make it easier to find what has been created.

(and by all means, if someone from the co-op wants to take that and make a new, pinned thread, please do!)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/1/2022 at 12:03 PM, Odd Duck said:

THAT is an EXCELLENT photo of a clown pleco.

I finally remembered the name, so let's call this the official request!
https://www.planetcatfish.com/common/species.php?species_id=7028

I believe this is the other one I have:
https://www.planetcatfish.com/common/species.php?species_id=734

 

Probably both are the same (second link) but yeah.... A lot of people are going to find these because of the availability, and I don't think I've ever seen them at the co-op or featured.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...