Archer Fish Compatibility

GGobblin

Ok. I had to read a bit on this one. I don’t keep Archers, but last summer I went to a small aquarium up in Scranton, PA where I saw some in a large paludarium…

427B4170-A8D9-4DAE-8F8A-F3619D093A25.jpeg.72bfbf8b77549b2d8e009acef04f468f.jpeg

I am not certain the exact subspecies, but maybe you can determine…

10BACE7F-2FA7-4E04-B802-D56B526F076A.jpeg.e1f2adf345f8db355c93e50f407a5d2f.jpeg

I had to search to find this tank mate species. These were Mono Angels, an Asian species…

6E28DB8A-E140-48E0-AAF9-ED89F8F66D05.jpeg.944645ceb1b5eaac596c921302228e10.jpeg

One key is that both are brackish species. I don’t typically lean into such sites, but this page seemed very generous with helpful information…

https://fishtankadvisor.com/archerfish-care/

To your question, I am not sure exactly how to guess Archerfish would do in a long term fresh / non-brackish setup. But the Central & South American species you’ve named would not survive in a brackish tank.

Hope this starts to provide you some answers. Sorry I don’t know more!

There are some pure, freshwater archerfish available. The Burmese clouded archer being one. Archerfish are top dwellers and depending on the tank shape (taller rather than shorter) would likely have little to no interaction with mid water or bottom dwelling fish. The maximum size is typically 6"-8". They don't love aggressive tankmates as they're pretty docile fish, but in a tall enough tank it shouldn't be an issue, especially if you feed the more aggressive fish with sinking pellets first. Let them swarm around the sinking pellets and then add the floating food for the archers. Geos are bottom feeders anyway and most of the cichlids you list are more mid-level to bottom feeders also. Drop in a lot of sinking food first for the rest of the horde, then add floating food for the archers and things should work out okay.

Thanks.

Most of my guys are mild mannered. The one I worry most about it the Green Terror when he gets bigger. He is almost 4" and well mannered at the moment.

Really like to have variety and Archers would be kool. My Pink Tail Chalceus is about the only top dweller I have. He is 6" but not aggressive at all.

If you have a pink tail chalceus I’d forego the archers. The pink tail chalceus is a very rambunctious top dweller that will stress the archers too much. Even if not aggressive they are very adept swimmers and make it known.

Also I wouldn’t say it’s required but a paludarium style tank for any archer species will make them far more comfortable.

Really ?

My Pink tail just kinda hangs, unless it's food time. He is a little skiddish, I've seem him freak for the slightest thing, and man, can that fish move. One if the fastest I've seen, even hurts himself bashing into things....

Love that fish tho