Did I botch my aquarium stand?

Ogpulchra

I went with my boyfriend's building plan, despite feeling iffy about it. Now I'm worried about using it for my 33g long.

The boards are 2x3s and the longest span is 50" between vertical supports. The tank is 48"x13"x13" and will weigh about 400 lbs. I know the cinder block stands don't have vertical supports under the corners, so I thought this would be okay. 

Should I replace the horizontal boards the tank will sit on with 2x4s or move the vertical supports so that they are directly under the tank corners? Or is this stand strong enough as is? I chose the 50" span because I wanted to put another 33g on the bottom shelf too. I will be adding some 2x3s across the back to prevent racking. 

20220330_084418.jpg

Edited by Ogpulchra

How far off are the vertical supports from where the corners of the tank will be?

Ideally, you would want the vertical supports under the corners of the tank. If you want to put another tank the same size underneath, then maybe create braces to support the corners of the aquarium on top. (Does that make sense?)

• Like 1

The corners will be an inch away from the vertical supports. I was worried about them not being directly under, but I wouldn't have room for the other tank on the bottom. I'm a pretty anxious person, so I don't know if I'm worrying too much about it or if I should scrap the bottom tank and move the vertical supports over. 

Braces are a good idea. Thanks!

Edited by Ogpulchra

I’m a carpenter and I think it’ll hold the tank but I’d be worried about side to side rigidity. I agree with @AndreaW, some corner braces would be a good idea. I think the second 48” tank on the lower shelf might actually help with the rigidity, but I’d still add some bracing anyway. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1