Filtration

Ashley

thats a big ol' can of worms. pretty much any type of filtration will work. you will have to do some looking, and see what most appeals to you.  there are under gravel filters which are old fashioned, but work. sponge filters , ziss moving bed bio filter, these 3 are powered by air. there are hang on back filters which can take many kinds of media, and sponges, and there are canister filters which can also take all kinds of media and sponges etc. i would find what seems to most appeal to you, then figure out how best to use it. i myself am primarily a hang on back person, but any of the choices can work fine.

• Like 2

On 3/28/2022 at 8:32 AM, Ashley said:

I’m looking for a bit of help and suggestions. I’ll be changing my 36 gallon tank to a planted aquarium. What filter system and filtration media should I use?

Whatever you pick use coarse foam or K1 for media. Don't fall for that ceramic ball or rocks stuff. 

• Like 1

I would suggest that you start your research with aquariumscience.org. There are articles there on filtration in general:

6. Filtration (aquariumscience.org)

and on filter media (including K1):

7. Filter Media (aquariumscience.org)

The best thing about the site is that the author is not trying to sell you anything. These articles changed my approach to filtration and filter media, and made my water clearer and my fish healthier.

Edited by HH Morant
  • Like 2