Question about filter for quarantine tank

Goldie Blue

This might be a really dumb question, but I have had a small sponge filter running in my 55 gallon for about 2 months to prepare for a quarantine tank in the near future. I am not ready to set it up just yet, but the bubbles it puts out are super strong so I am wondering if I can just turn the filter off and leave it sitting in the tank until I am ready to move it to the other tank? Or do I need to keep it running while it's in there? Thanks in advance for any help!

On 3/27/2022 at 10:50 PM, colo3000 said:

If your sponge filter has an adjustable airstone, you may be able to at least adjust the bubble size.

Okay, thanks for the quick reply. Unfortunately it doesn't, would it hurt the air pump if I tried to clamp on the tubing at all?

On 3/27/2022 at 10:22 PM, Goldie Blue said:

Okay, thanks for the quick reply. Unfortunately it doesn't, would it hurt the air pump if I tried to clamp on the tubing at all?

That would likely cause backpressure that the pump wasn't designed for, which can damage or shorten the lifespan of your pump.

• Thanks 1

You can reduce the flow to the airstone without increasing the backpressure to your pump by inserting a tee and a valve. Cut the existing airline and join the two ends to the tee. Then add a short section of airline to the open side of the tee. Put the valve on the open end of the short section of airline. You can then use the valve to bleed off some of the pump output. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 3/28/2022 at 12:28 AM, Widgets said:

You can reduce the flow to the airstone without increasing the backpressure to your pump by inserting a tee and a valve. Cut the existing airline and join the two ends to the tee. Then add a short section of airline to the open side of the tee. Put the valve on the open end of the short section of airline. You can then use the valve to bleed off some of the pump output. 

Perfect! Thank you, this is why I love this community! 

• Like 1