Journey breeding guppies

LilOne

I am starting my journey breeding guppies.  I have found a place that will accept babies should I get over run.  I also found I have a friend who breeds guppies as well so that boads well for possible trades.  I am planning to start a facebook page/group for local fish swap and hopefully find a place we can meet to swap and get together to discuss, swap, and learn from one another.  Here is my start equipment wise from the thrift store.  two small fish bowls to use to separate male/female fry to transfer to their own tanks.  Males in one tank, females in another.  

Iris1.jpg

Edited by LilOne
  • Like 3

Great idea to start a local club. I used to do two containers beside the tank to separate and transfer. This is very arduous.  I then started using specimen containers that hang inside the tank. So much nicer and easier. I recently upgraded one of my specimen containers to the new coop ones. Wow, I can’t wait to upgrade the other. They are so easy to maneuver nets in. I found holding my hand over the net helps when transferring during separation important. Small guppies can and will jump from the net. Best of luck. Looking forward to following along. 

Edited by Guppysnail

Thank you, Guppysnail.  As of right now my tanks will have to be spread apart so this was an idea to safely transport fish from one area to another.  Hopefully this is a temporary solution as we are looking for a bigger place.  I do have one question.  I found a 10 gallon with stand and lid that is used.  idk if holds water they are firm on $20 would it be worth it?

As long as the stand does not have water damage if it is wood or corrosion/rust for metal. I would buy it. 10g are awesome guppy grow outs. I use 2. Just about the time it gets crowded it’s time to take them to the LFS. Resealing is tedious but not hard if they leak. Any structural damage to the stand I would say no because 10g at petco are $20 not on sale. 

Edited by Guppysnail
  • Like 2

ok so yesterday I picked up two small so called Beta tanks (way too small to really properly house a beta or any fish for that matter and no filter no heater).  and this weekend I am picking up a 10 gallon with stand for $20.  The betta tanks were given to me.  Once I get my program going and get things set up with the new facebook group and we start hopefully having some fish swaps.  I figured the little betta tanks would be good for display for swaps as it would not be feasable to pack a big aquarium to meet ups.  Still have not got to go talk to my friend but hopefully soon.  So far that is the progress on my journey.  I have messaged someone about 2 29 gal tanks they are wanting to sell but so far no response to the last message.  Hope all are having an amazing day

I will post pics of all new items this weekend

Ok first off I apologize I have not gotten new pics put up.  I just picked up two ten gallon tanks for $20 brand new at petco.  1 will house males the other will house females.  I picked up the 10 gallon with stand for $20 Saturday that will be divided as grow out tanks until I can have more room.  next step is to clean the aquariums and start picking up filters, heaters, substrate and plants so I can start setting them up and cycling them.  I will get pics soon.  I also found someone who offered to send me snow white guppies he bred himself.

Edited by LilOne
  • Like 3

So I went to the river and picked up some driftwood for my tanks.  Now to clean it up.  I also got two heaters for my aquariums for $12.  One more heater to go for now.  Then it is lights and filters.  I am placing pictures of what I got last week and yesterday.

IMG_20220404_111439.jpg

IMG_20220403_140120.jpg

IMG_20220403_140108.jpg

IMG_20220403_140101.jpg

IMG_20220331_000942.jpg

IMG_20220331_000852.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

so I took another step.  I bought a binder, pager separators and loose leaf paper and set up sections for what stock I buy from where and when, what I am breeding and to what / results etc.,  what I am selling and for what,  and what I am trading and for what.  If there is anything else that would/could be pertinent to keep track of please let me know.  I also found the stock I want and got the price.  going to be expensive but worth it.

Thank you,

Edited by LilOne

On 4/18/2022 at 8:29 AM, LilOne said:

so I took another step.  I bought a binder, pager separators and loose leaf paper and set up sections for what stock I buy from where and when, what I am breeding and to what / results etc.,  what I am selling and for what,  and what I am trading and for what.  If there is anything else that would/could be pertinent to keep track of please let me know.  I also found the stock I want and got the price.  going to be expensive but worth it.

Thank you,

the stock you start with is more important than anything else if you are going to breed to sell.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

well I got started setting one tank up as I have my first few trios coming next week. After I took this picture, I added a small anubis plant and a baby java fern from my bigger java fern in my established tank and added water last night.  Added heater and light last night.  adding sponge filter out of my established tank tonight and putting new sponge filter in the established tank.  water is cloudy in it and established tank.  I think I am having a bacterial bloom in my established tank.  I also have a pot with water in it on top of the drift wood to hold it under water so it can start sinking

image.jpeg.546872d24136b9a10c9172effa9a5b15.jpeg

Edited by LilOne
  • Like 1