Matchday Pitchside for NERMS

Fish Folk

This off-topic thread is for posting your soccer (fútbol) fan notes. Please keep things respectful and in accordance with the forum guidelines.

In US we watch international matches using a variety of streaming services including:

ESPN+

fuboTV

Paramount+

YouTubeTV

PeacockTV      

If you miss a live match and want to watch it after it has finished airing live, there are certain sites like this one that offer full match replays. 

Aquatics is a context where NERMs from all different places come together. Here we're just adding the beautiful game to our community ties.

Let us know what Leagues you follow and what teams you are a fan of!

Edited by Fish Folk
  • Love 1

In our home, we're pretty dedicated fans of FC Barcelona. Today's El Clasico was a thrilling victory. Visca el Barça! We watch a number of La Liga matches as well, and follow that league most of all. We can always enjoy a good Man. City match, since Guardiola brings an approach to the game that is fun to watch.

1871667491_ScreenShot2022-03-20at10_12_51PM.png.eab0233cdc19673641f2d63ea0b8deee.png

My all-time favorite former Barca player is Andrés Iniesta. Favorite current Barcelona players include Sergio Busquets, Pedri, and Frenkie de Jong. Yeah . . . love me some good midfielders!

It is very nice to see Dembele and Aubameyang linking up so nicely of late! We have needed a poacher like Pierre-Emerick for some time, and contrary to what any detractors say, I think Dembele is gold -- sure hope he stays! Hope we see more brilliance from Ansu Fati too once his recovers.

We are very pleased to have Xavi coaching at Camp Nou, and hope he stays a good long while.

Edited by Fish Folk
  • Like 1

Thank you for starting this. I have been suffering as a Manchester United fan, but I keep watching!

I have two Netherlands 🇳🇱 jerseys from WC heartbreaks.

I was actually visiting the Netherlands as a kid, when the team returned from winning the 1988 Euros. I appreciate the memory more now, however faded.

• Like 2

One of my neighbours was taken to America in the 60's by FIFA (or whoever ran the league then) to promote soccer (as you call it). They were working from the empire state building apparently. This was after he'd retired from playing here as part of legendary team (sadly our local team has struggled ever since).

Unfortunately I don't follow the sport (which is nearly impossible to avoid here) but it's great to hear his efforts weren't in vain.

• Love 1

On 3/27/2022 at 4:02 PM, Flumpweesel said:

One of my neighbours was taken to America in the 60's by FIFA (or whoever ran the league then) to promote soccer (as you call it). They were working from the empire state building apparently. This was after he'd retired from playing here as part of legendary team (sadly our local team has struggled ever since).

Unfortunately I don't follow the sport (which is nearly impossible to avoid here) but it's great to hear his efforts weren't in vain.

May I ask: what is your local team?

In U. S. we live nearest D. C. United (MLS). Nowhere near the level of play in UK, but still gaining momentum. Many European players consider U.S. as an option for “retirement” (i.e. at age 36, etc.)

• Like 1

On 3/27/2022 at 9:19 PM, Fish Folk said:

May I ask: what is your local team?

Preston North End. They have a great legacy but they have been very up and down in more recent history.

This town was also home to the Dick Kerr Ladies team who were incredibly popular until the league decided that women didn't belong in sport. Something that is finally being corrected .

• Like 2

Well, I’m not a USMNT fanatic, but it is encouraging to see them put Panama down given their critical loss to them last WC. Christian Pulisic grew up just an hour away from us. Quasi local chap. Of course, once they play in Europe they play better footy…

• Like 1

La Liga - Levante vs. F.C. Barcelona 3:00 pm ET - ESPN+

Levante is in the relegation zone, fighting to stay in the top tier. Barcelona, with a game in hand, is looking to secure the 2nd place spot. If the Blaugrana wins today, they will be level on points with Sevilla with a match in hand, but ahead on goal differentials, putting them in 2nd place behind Los Blancos.

Pique is resting, opening the door for defender Eric Garcia to step up and shine. Unfortunately, looks like Ansu Fati is still in injury recovery -- though he's started training again with the first team.

The match is away, at Levante stadium. Hope it's a clean match!

Xavi Hernandez — Special halftime talk translation:

”You look like a bunch of stoned cows out too late on a Spanish Sunday night! Every clown who makes a ridiculous pass in the second half shall be summarily dragged home behind the bus!”

• Love 1