Stocking the shrimp sanctuary

Minanora

So, it's time to make some changes to the sanctuary. I have the 7 Chili Rasboras in the 2.6G. They are doing great in there with 9 neocaridina shrimp.

My thought is... leave them in there. Buy 8 exclamation point rasboras and 6 pygmy corydoras for the sanctuary. The sanctuary is 5.5G. I don't want to over stock the 5.5 but I feel like this is a totally acceptable stocking for this tank. Any thoughts? Concerns? I'm going to shrink the shrimp population by about half and put them in the 75G.

• Like 1

I have 18 Pygmy cory and 12-16 CPD (can’t remember how many juveniles I put in when I split the ones I hatched 🙄) oodles upon oodles of tiny terrorists…I mean neocaridina shrimp 🤣 in a 20 long. It’s perfect for that amount but I wouldn’t go more. Hope that gives you a guidepost.  I would not go less than a group of 6-8 Pygmy or you won’t see them. My 18 did fine in a 10. Looking forward to seeing the setup and new gang. 

Edited by Guppysnail
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

I would stay with a slightly larger tank. Corys love to have room and graze. They like to have places to hide and feel safe too. Anything below a 10G I would encourage shrimp only or plants only. I would suggest hopefully having a 20L or something for the stocking you're suggest. It's a good footprint and room for the fish to swim around. The equipment and such that you're using should work pretty well for it also. 

Minimum tank size for me personally is a 29G or something along that footprint. I have a 10G for emergency use only. I totally understand the issues with limitations, but I think you'll be much happier with a 10 or 20L if you can manage to fit one where you need to.

For reference, this is my 10G. Up for emergency use right now.

I spent the day tracking down a 33L or something that might work for my area. I might end up using a 20L as well but I definitely need a bit more volume. It's just a Cory tank and I started with 3, many more now. Much more hiding under the wood.

20220316_152658.JPG

• Like 3

My cories use every bit of my 100 gallon.  I don’t have pygmies, but I would recommend more than a 5 G for any species of cory.  They are active little guys and really like to do periodic group fishy zoomies.  You would really get so much more from watching them in a 20 long or even a 20 high.  It would be so worth it.

• Like 3

Thanks for the input @nabokovfan87 and @Odd Duck. I'll hold off on the pygmy corydoras. I agree with them doing better with more room. I have the 3 stripe corydoras in my 75. They really do get the zoomies every now and again. The peppered in my sons 20 do well but I will eventually move them into the 75 as well. Takes a lot of negotiation with the kiddo to move fish from that tank. Maybe I'll trade him for pygmies in his tank at some point.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 3/21/2022 at 11:44 AM, Apulo said:

I have two panda cories in my community tank. They also get the occasional zoomies but mostly I'll walk in the room and see them scramble off to hide behind their favorite rock 🤣

You need more of 'em! They get much more bold when they have good numbers. My goal with the 3 stripe cories I have is to have 12 of them. I have 6. They have a pretty bad ratio from my LFS. I lost 9 across the 3 batches I purchased. So I am pausing that population.

• Like 1

On 3/21/2022 at 4:13 PM, Minanora said:

You need more of 'em! They get much more bold when they have good numbers. My goal with the 3 stripe cories I have is to have 12 of them. I have 6. They have a pretty bad ratio from my LFS. I lost 9 across the 3 batches I purchased. So I am pausing that population.

I do plan on getting more, I just need to overcome my nitrite spike first 🙂

• Like 1

On 3/21/2022 at 1:36 PM, Minanora said:

Thanks for the input @nabokovfan87 and @Odd Duck. I'll hold off on the pygmy corydoras. I agree with them doing better with more room. I have the 3 stripe corydoras in my 75. They really do get the zoomies every now and again. The peppered in my sons 20 do well but I will eventually move them into the 75 as well. Takes a lot of negotiation with the kiddo to move fish from that tank. Maybe I'll trade him for pygmies in his tank at some point.

I’m ORD, but this sounds like a good plan.

• Haha 1