Precautions After A Fish Death

William Lynch

If you have a fish that appears to randomly die do you take any precautionary steps? There is no visual sign of illness and all the water parameters are as normal as can be. Just came back to the tank and my male guppy was dead. Should I change water, add fritz complete or nothing and just monitor the situation the next couple of days? Tank is on the warmer end so maybe I just put his life on the speed cycle?

I remove the fish, if I have time (they always seem to appear as I'm leaving for work) i check the parameters of they seem good I just monitor the population and as long as nothing is up leave things to the normal schedule. I will close monitor for a few days. Most of my fish are to small to effect the cycle. If I'm on my way out when I spot it I remove the body and throw in some prime then check everything properly when I get back.

Keeping track of my fish ages has helped me relax a little when I have random deaths.

Yes if the tank is very warm for that fish it might shave a chuck of its life expectancy so might breeding or aggression.

• Like 1

Im sorry about your guppy. I’m with @Ken Burke I automatically do 50% in case it’s a water issue I can’t test for and to lower the bacterial load in the tank in case it is the beginning of a disease that patient zero just did not show symptoms of and to remove any fear or pain hormones and monitor closely. 

• Like 2

On 3/12/2022 at 11:20 PM, Ken Burke said:

My rule is it is an automatic water change.  25 - 50%

I think this is a good idea, however I`m not much of a fish keeper (I only have guppies - shrimp and a few plecos plus snails) every male guppy I had died within 3 weeks. I have since revamped 4 tanks for the better and have had no losses in 2 months that I know of and almost no maintenance.