Nitrite spike Guppy health

Minanora

So I had a nitrite spike in my 75 the day I pulled the baby swordtails.

Ammonia 0

Nitrite 4ppm before water change, 1ppm after.

Nitrate 30ish ppm

pH 7.8

Temp 77

I dropped the temp from 79 to 77 the same day, but my major concern is Goby. All of a sudden his tail went from straight blue to having red tips and this fin rot at the ends. What do I do!?  I just added IAL. I did a 30% water change yesterday while I was pulling the swordtails. The nitrite spike is unusual.

See photos below. I added Catappa leaves but should I do anything else? @Colu Maracyn or? Help please I can't lose Goby.

20220307_132026.jpg.de72eb63dd77e783d206baf8ed123401.jpg20220307_132035.jpg.8f255d22e37fa7413732c15199c58955.jpg

before ( no red at tips)

before.JPG.d6dc5c0fa4893b6e7a530bc6440e8d96.JPG

When you cry over a fish that isn't even dying.

@Odd Duck I'm at my end here. Any advise?

• Sad 1

On 3/7/2022 at 11:00 PM, Minanora said:

I'm at my end here. Any advise?

You’re already doing most of what you need and that’s clean water and tannins. Add aquarium salt starting at 1 tablespoon per gallon.  I had fin rot in the new tetras I just got (freshly imported) and I also added kanamycin (Kanaplex) along with low dose salt and tannins (IAL and rooibos tea, already had a little bit of oak leaves in there).  The worst spot of fin rot is gone but it’s too soon to be sure the fins are growing back.

‘Since your guy has redness, I would go ahead and add some antibiotic and likely most antibiotics would work.  Kanaplex, Maracyn, or Maracyn 2 would all be good choices. When we don’t have cultures, it’s a bit of a guess as to which one will work best.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

With the redding at the end of fins I would do a course of kanaplex in food and add some a small amount of aquarium salt 1 table spoon for 5 gallons that shouldn't harm your plants and keep doing daily water changes and add prime to detoxify any nitrites till it get to zero 

Screenshot_20210806-030958~2.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you everyone. Sorry for the call outs. I've been continuing with water changes and feeding erythromycin medicated food. Something is working because Goby is improving quickly. Only a tiny bit of red left and no other discoloration. Hopefully things continue to get better.

@PineSongthank you friend. He really is.

• Love 1

On 3/12/2022 at 11:52 AM, Minanora said:

Goby is much much better, tail has no more red! He's his happy swimmy self. I will add more Indian almond leaves and keep feeding medicated food until Tuesday. Nitrite has returned to 0. Hooray! One battle fought and won! Thank you @Colu, @Odd Duck, @modified lung, and @PineSong. Your support is always appreciated.

Excellent work!  Very nicely done!  So happy for you and Goby!

• Thanks 1

On 3/12/2022 at 10:52 AM, Minanora said:

Goby is much much better, tail has no more red! He's his happy swimmy self. I will add more Indian almond leaves and keep feeding medicated food until Tuesday. Nitrite has returned to 0. Hooray! One battle fought and won! Thank you @Colu, @Odd Duck, @modified lung, and @PineSong. Your support is always appreciated.

That is fabulous to read!

• Thanks 1