40 gallon community tank

Williamirish16

I had a sand substrate 40 breeder that I had mbuna african cichlids in. It had a heavy bioload so I had to filter well and change water often but was always a really fun tank to watch. If you are going planted tank you could get a few angels and a super red or green dragon bristlenose pleco. Just my opinion though. @Williamirish16How is your tank set up and I could provide more specific suggestions that I would do??

What are the detentions of your tank and do you want a community or a wet pet?  I'm going to assume you have a 40 breeder and you want a community tank that is heavily planted.  I would focus on filling the three main points of the tank bottom middle and top. If you like South American fish I would do about 20 Cory cats a pair of angles or rams and for the top about 10-20 hatchets or Pencil fish. If Asian species are more your style I would get a loach species like yo-yos or another species in that 3-5 inch range and I would get about 8 or so for the mid water I would get  a few pearl gourami And or a small school of mid size rainbow fish like neon dwarf rainbows. And for the top of the tank I would get a small school of half beaks or one or the small rainbow fish like a pseudomugil Species