4K video of my 40 gallon breeder! (Danio nigrofasciatus and Tanichthys micagemmae)

mbwells

Hello friends,

Really sorry I dropped out of contact for awhile.  The last I had written, I had just gotten a school of 15 spotted dwarf danios and was dealing with a bacterial outbreak.  The case was mild and a round of Maracyn (bought from Aquarium Co-Op!) cleared everything up.  Since then, I've been busy getting into the rhythm of a new job, but, more importantly, filling out my fish tank!!

Since my last post, I've built out my 40 gallon breeder to include 25 Danio nigrofasciatus (spotted dwarf danios) and 16 Vietnamese cardinal minnows (Tanichthys micagemmae).  The Vietnamese minnows were a *great* addition!!!  Spotted dwarf danios are somewhat timid fish that tend to hover at the bottom third of the tank, particularly under full light.  Curiously, they also scavenge voraciously off the bottom.  I wanted to add a group of fish that would not be too boisterous for them and would be easy to care for and occupy regions of the tank that the spotted dwarf danios wouldn't.  I found a video where a German fishkeeper particularly recommended T. micagemmae as a great partner for these danios, and wow, was he ever right!!

T. micagemmae are more outgoing than D. nigrofasciatus, are definitely more robust, and they have efficiently drawn my beautiful danios out towards the upper levels of the tank.  Just to give some examples: in my experience spotted dwarf danios do best in water that has less than 20ppm nitrates.  Weekly water changes are  a must.  My Vietnamese minnows aren't fazed by 40 ppm nitrates, while my spotted danios look noticeably irritated and have less activity.  T. micagemmae took to my tank instantly and even feed vigorously when I first put them in.  My first batch of spotted dwarf danios, in contrast, took over 2 weeks to fully come out from hiding and it took nearly 5 days before they would eat.  Definitely much less stress introducing these guys to the tank. 

If I had it to do over again, I would have *started* with the minnows, then added these shy little danios.  Curiously, these fish all tend to school together.  Before I added these Vietnamese minnows, my danios were spawning every day.  Adding 16 minnows stopped that, but only for about a week or so.  They're now back to spawning vigorously every day.  Something else I would do differently?  I've noticed during water changes that both the danios and minnows *love* a good current.  I think they'd be a ton of fun in a hillstream set up. 

I shot a video of my tank in 4K.  I'm really proud of everything I've been able to build.  I want all of you to know that if it wasn't for all of your help, this could never have happened.  @Cory and @Zenzo I can't thank you both enough for your YouTube videos.  You've both introduced me to the best hobby that's ever happened to me.  I get so much peace and joy watching my tank for 15 to 30 minutes a day.  Grateful to Aquarium Co-Op for helping my first experience as a fish keeper a successful one. 

Here's a video of my tank in 4K!!  Hope you all enjoy it.  Suggestions for how to make my tank better are always appreciated.  I have other videos on my channel as well.

https://youtu.be/Bv3rAVn3WyI

@Colu I realized some time ago I never gave you an update after I was pulling my hair out over a bacterial infection in my new tank.  Thank you so much for your patience in helping me, and here's an update as to how things have gone since I got the infection cleaned out! 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

On 3/1/2022 at 3:55 AM, mbwells said:

Hello friends,

Really sorry I dropped out of contact for awhile.  The last I had written, I had just gotten a school of 15 spotted dwarf danios and was dealing with a bacterial outbreak.  The case was mild and a round of Maracyn (bought from Aquarium Co-Op!) cleared everything up.  Since then, I've been busy getting into the rhythm of a new job, but, more importantly, filling out my fish tank!!

Since my last post, I've built out my 40 gallon breeder to include 25 Danio nigrofasciatus (spotted dwarf danios) and 16 Vietnamese cardinal minnows (Tanichthys micagemmae).  The Vietnamese minnows were a *great* addition!!!  Spotted dwarf danios are somewhat timid fish that tend to hover at the bottom third of the tank, particularly under full light.  Curiously, they also scavenge voraciously off the bottom.  I wanted to add a group of fish that would not be too boisterous for them and would be easy to care for and occupy regions of the tank that the spotted dwarf danios wouldn't.  I found a video where a German fishkeeper particularly recommended T. micagemmae as a great partner for these danios, and wow, was he ever right!!

T. micagemmae are more outgoing than D. nigrofasciatus, are definitely more robust, and they have efficiently drawn my beautiful danios out towards the upper levels of the tank.  Just to give some examples: in my experience spotted dwarf danios do best in water that has less than 20ppm nitrates.  Weekly water changes are  a must.  My Vietnamese minnows aren't fazed by 40 ppm nitrates, while my spotted danios look noticeably irritated and have less activity.  T. micagemmae took to my tank instantly and even feed vigorously when I first put them in.  My first batch of spotted dwarf danios, in contrast, took over 2 weeks to fully come out from hiding and it took nearly 5 days before they would eat.  Definitely much less stress introducing these guys to the tank. 

If I had it to do over again, I would have *started* with the minnows, then added these shy little danios.  Curiously, these fish all tend to school together.  Before I added these Vietnamese minnows, my danios were spawning every day.  Adding 16 minnows stopped that, but only for about a week or so.  They're now back to spawning vigorously every day.  Something else I would do differently?  I've noticed during water changes that both the danios and minnows *love* a good current.  I think they'd be a ton of fun in a hillstream set up. 

I shot a video of my tank in 4K.  I'm really proud of everything I've been able to build.  I want all of you to know that if it wasn't for all of your help, this could never have happened.  @Cory and @Zenzo I can't thank you both enough for your YouTube videos.  You've both introduced me to the best hobby that's ever happened to me.  I get so much peace and joy watching my tank for 15 to 30 minutes a day.  Grateful to Aquarium Co-Op for helping my first experience as a fish keeper a successful one. 

Here's a video of my tank in 4K!!  Hope you all enjoy it.  Suggestions for how to make my tank better are always appreciated.  I have other videos on my channel as well.

https://youtu.be/Bv3rAVn3WyI

@Colu I realized some time ago I never gave you an update after I was pulling my hair out over a bacterial infection in my new tank.  Thank you so much for your patience in helping me, and here's an update as to how things have gone since I got the infection cleaned out! 

Good to hear they are better they should become more out going once the plants grow in and give them more cover