Clear spot on cherry shrimp?

Lexi B

Noticed one of my fiance's cherry shrimp has a clear segment on him. Is it a molting error? What should we do to make sure he's safe and okay, or is he doomed?

My gh kit is expired but I have ordered another. There's crushed coral in the substrate, and they're fed a variety of food including some calcium enriched foods like shrimp cuisine. 

pH is about 7.7, temp is 79

EDIT: Ran out and got new GH KH kits. 

GH is 10 

KH is 3 

PXL_20220220_003241696.jpg

Edited by Lexi B

That is interesting. I have nothing of value to add aside from humor. I can't get over the fact that she is wearing a snail-egg hair piece. She must be going to the opera. The split is her tufting her petticoats. I dunno, I'm just a crazy person. Hopefully she/he is all good. ^_^

The shell is dull colored meaning it is time to molt. The carapace breaks to allow the shrimp to get out. Occasionally they are not able to get out It looks like your shrimp is in the beginning stages of molt. Here is a video that you can see a shrimp molt and you can see the same clear spot on this one as is on yours. Hope that helps

Edited by Guppysnail
Forgot video
  • Love 2

On 2/20/2022 at 3:07 AM, Guppysnail said:

The shell is dull colored meaning it is time to molt. The carapace breaks to allow the shrimp to get out. Occasionally they are not able to get out It looks like your shrimp is in the beginning stages of molt. Here is a video that you can see a shrimp molt and you can see the same clear spot on this one as is on yours. Hope that helps

Interesting. It didn't seem to be trying to molt- really more interesting in munching it's leaf. Maybe it molted over night though, I'll see if I kind find it. 

• Like 1