Ken Burke

So, filled up the auto feeder last nite.  Headed out to enjoy some nature this morning.  When I got back the feeder was stuck in the “On” position and the tank looked like a snow globe. Ugh.  Did the emergency water change.  Added a second sponge filter to help suck up the rest of the food.  So, what are your thoughts, should I do a second 50% change tomorrow, or a 25%.  

Seconding the testing for ammonia every 12 hours! 

Having had children get in and 'feed the fish' to my tanks before by dumping in the entire container of food, you'd be amazed how much of that gunk get sucked into your filters and substrate, only to cause havoc a couple days later when it gets really rank and spikes the ammonia.

Its not over after the first day. 

The fish have jammed themselves full of food, they will poop for the next couple days more than normal. Plus, all the rotting food they don't manage to get to will also become ammonia. Keep up the water changes and monitor parameters closely for the next week. Stuff sometimes gets funky several days down the road from the spill.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Nataku said:

Seconding the testing for ammonia every 12 hours! 

Having had children get in and 'feed the fish' to my tanks before by dumping in the entire container of food, you'd be amazed how much of that gunk get sucked into your filters and substrate, only to cause havoc a couple days later when it gets really rank and spikes the ammonia.

Its not over after the first day. 

The fish have jammed themselves full of food, they will poop for the next couple days more than normal. Plus, all the rotting food they don't manage to get to will also become ammonia. Keep up the water changes and monitor parameters closely for the next week. Stuff sometimes gets funky several days down the road from the spill.

Thought I had seen this b4.  Suspect it will take several days. 

BEHOLD the power of a planted tank!  

yesterday after a massive water change the water was cloudy,  ammonia was 1 PPM, nitrite was still 0.  Today the ammonia is .5, clear water and nitrite is elevated and without a water change.  I think I got lucky, but the tank is recovering pretty well.  

BTW, I added a second Aquarium Co-Op sponge filter, but don’t used any other filters.  Can’t complain about the results.  @Cory I’m a definite convert to the coarse sponge filter.