Bent body and popeye

William Lynch

Good afternoon everyone,

I have an ember tetra that appears to have bilateral popeye and a twisted/bent body. Are both of these symptoms related or a just a coincidence? I know popeye can be caused by poor water quality which could be explained by me putting off a water change by one week a couple of weeks back. However all of the other tetras and tank inhabitants seems fine (25 ember tetras in total) and water parameters are currently at its stable and consistent levels. I am more just curious what the cause of both of these symptoms could be so that it doesn't happen again. Also how should I take care of the affected fish? 

Thank you for your help

embertetra1.jpg.1d058f9d90e7c057bd7d27adf4d91ea1.jpgembertetra2.jpg.20c980cd8356d04430d122555926005e.jpgembertetra3.jpg.40f6478c82071b9456fc7dc84fe04872.jpg

• Like 1

On 2/6/2022 at 1:39 PM, Fish Folk said:

I’d hold off feeding a couple days to let your bio filtration catch up. Then do a 15% water change. When you start feeding again, do it lightly. Sometimes fish can work through Popeye and recover.

alright will do. What would be the cause for the twisted spine? This is definitely something that was developed recently. never seen it before 

On 2/6/2022 at 8:15 PM, William Lynch said:

alright will do. What would be the cause for the twisted spine? This is definitely something that was developed recently. never seen it before 

I am not sure. Some illness affects the fish nervous system, bringing on kinks and twists. It may be something fatal. I lost a Colombian tetra to something similar this past year.

On 2/6/2022 at 6:23 PM, Fish Folk said:

I am not sure. Some illness affects the fish nervous system, bringing on kinks and twists. It may be something fatal. I lost a Colombian tetra to something similar this past year.

Sorry to hear that. I feel like something more serious might be going on with this fish. It has stopped schooling with the rest and just idles in place opening and closing its mouth ferociously. Strange

As your fish has bilateral Popeye and a bent spine it's more than likely caused by bacterial infection I would Qarantine and treat with kanaplex in food for 7days and aquarium salt 1 table spoon for 2 gallons the salt will help any fluid buildup behind the eye's

Screenshot_20210806-030958~2.png

Edited by Colu
Ment to put bilateral not unilateral
  • Like 1

On 2/6/2022 at 8:34 PM, Colu said:

As your fish has unilateral Popeye and a bent spine it's more than likely caused by bacterial infection I would Qarantine and treat with kanaplex in food for 7days and aquarium salt 1 table spoon for 2 gallons the salt will help any fluid buildup behind the eye's

Screenshot_20210806-030958~2.png

thanks for your help I will get on it asap. Also are these bacterial infections contagious to other fish?

On 2/7/2022 at 3:49 AM, William Lynch said:

thanks for your help I will get on it asap. Also are these bacterial infections contagious to other fish?

They can be contagious If any of your other fish start showing any symptoms then  I would treat the main tank with kanaplex

• Like 1

I have a bloodfin tetra that has as similar problem, but it started with mouth rot. He has been in quarantine for a month. I started at the level 1 dose of salt, then after 4 days went to level 2 then went to level 3 for a few days. He seemed to stabilize so I reduced back to level 1 and he has been at that level for 2 weeks. He is now getting progressively worse and now also has very bad Popeye in both eyes and his top jaw has now started to rot. The poor guy is getting worse and worse so that now I have dosed three doses of Kanaplex  three times, two days apart on top of holding level 1 salt. I feel terrible and just don't know what else to do .  Any thoughts? I have been watching the water parameters closely so that ammonia is 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 10ppm, temp 76, ph 7.6, chlorine 0. Any help would be appreciated.

• 1 year later...

I'm curious if this ember tetra recovered or not. I noticed that one of my ember tetras has pop eye and I'm treating it with the med trio along with some new fish I got in a separate 10 gallon tank. Hopefully he comes back because he has great color and body shape besides the bulging eyes...