Attempting to ID my Betta Fish Illness...

BettaMarine65

Parameter: 5 Gallon Fluval Spec V up and running for 1+ year.

Ph Low 7.6.  High 7.4

Ammonia 0ppp

Nitrite 0ppm

Nitrate 5 ppm

Weekly 25% H20+Prime

This appeared January 4th as a blister on forehead and raised scales. All real plants and nothing sharp in aquarium. No one on FB Forums could ID this. LFS said it appears to be cysts. More "cysts" appeared on head area and appear to have "burst" No other cysts on his body, but has had 2 "cysts" ay tip of fin in the past, but they went away after a few days. I am religious on water changes+gravel vacs weekly. Any thoughts would be appreciated. 

Screenshot_20220204-091705_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20220204-091850_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20220204-092030_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20220204-092106_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20220204-092234_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20220204-092250_Gallery.jpg

I almost wonder if its not some kind of infection caused from hitting his/her little nose on something or maybe a cist.  Have you tried using salt?  The salt may not be good on the plants so if it was me and this is just my opinion I would pull some tank water and put the betta in  gallon jug and add salt.  For how long i'm sure but I'm sure someone on here could say.   

sorry that was supposed to say for how long i'm not sure

@Guppysnailany ideas?

On 2/4/2022 at 12:16 PM, Aqua junky said:

I almost wonder if its not some kind of infection caused from hitting his/her little nose on something or maybe a cist.  Have you tried using salt?  The salt may not be good on the plants so if it was me and this is just my opinion I would pull some tank water and put the betta in  gallon jug and add salt.  For how long i'm sure but I'm sure someone on here could say.   

@Guppysnailany ideas?

Aqua Junky,  I have not tried salt yet. I've spaced out different treatment such as Kanaplex, API General Cure and Seachem StressGuard over the last 30 days. Right now, Im just doing water changes every other day and adding StressGuard. These were recommended by people on the Betta Boards I'm subscribed too.

I don't know of anywhere Dexter coukd get his head "caught" and have to back out of although that was my first suspicion. Funny thing is that he had 2 blisters on the very tip of his fin at different times in the past. I'm very ocd about what I put in his tank. 

Thanks for replying...it is much appreciated!!!

Ann

On 2/4/2022 at 3:16 PM, Aqua junky said:

@Guppysnailany ideas?

Unfortunately no. I’m not a great medical advice person. @Coluwould be my go to. 

It could be a fluid filled cyst or a tumor their really common in Betta's if it's a fluid filled cyst I treat with aquarium salt 1 table spoon for 2 gallons that will help reduce the fluid buildup and add some Indian almond leaves as they have antibacterial and antifungal properties if it's a tumor theirs no a lot a can suggest treatment wise 

Edited by Colu

On 2/4/2022 at 4:43 PM, BettaMarine65 said:

Colu, Thank you. I keep IAL in the tank all the time. I'll get some AS and put it in.

Ann

With your live plants, there are 2 options:

Add the aquarium salt slowly, and monitor plants to see how they do (my hornwort can tolerate a slow ramp up to 1 TBS/gallon. Most of my stems can only tolerate 1 TBS / 3 gallons... or less.

If you are a Co-op member, the last talk with EDIT: ASHLEY!!!! (fish veterinarian) and the betta talk with Gianne, may shed some light on what is happening. 

I do know that therapeutic dose of IAL for bettas is pretty high. For me to reach the strength that was used in the peer-reviewed research, required 2 large IAL/ gallon of water. 

Edited by Torrey
My cranial flatulence renamed Ashley, Katherine🤦‍♂️