my coop order arrived

scott the fishman

On 1/29/2022 at 5:00 PM, scott the fishman said:

hello fellow fish keepers! so i just got my coop order today along with a bunch of stuff i ordered two plants one was a tiger lotus it looks dead. i will post pics is this normal or do i need to make a call?

IMG_20220129_164805.jpg

IMG_20220129_164830.jpg

IMG_20220129_164841.jpg

IMG_20220129_164904.jpg

On 1/29/2022 at 5:01 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

They will make it right if it is indeed DOA. Doesn't hurt to ask if you think something might be wrong with it. 🙂 

thank you i posted some more pics

I've ordered two from them. The first was like this one, and the second had several leaves. I planted the first one and it has sprouted new growth, even after having nothing at the time of planting. Plant it and I bet it starts to grow. If it doesn't, they'll make it right.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 1/29/2022 at 5:43 PM, Levi_Aquatics said:

I would plant it and see if it grows but the coop will definitely make it right if you contact them.

ok i did plant it how ever it seemed to come apart the stem and one and only leaf floated away in two separate ways  i did not take it out of the flower basket/ rockwool thingy it came in i just put the whole plant as it was shipped in my tank.

thank you guys i know coop has my back

• Like 1

I just ordered one. I think I remember reading that at least 1/2 the bulb should be exposed... let me double check.

I can not find it on the ACO site now. I am very sure that it said it might not have leaves when it arrived, or it might loose them due to shipping. I also think it said to set the bulb on top of the substrate or only bury half the bulb, and it would send out roots to anchor itself. Many plants, like Java fern will die if you bury them. They need water, not soil around their base. Here is an example  from the directions on the Red Dwarf Lilly: "To plant your lily, place it on top of the substrate until you see some growth. It will send roots down into the substrate to hold itself in place. If no growth can be seen after 1-3 weeks, try turning the bulb over. "

Do let them know you are concerned, but don't give up hope just yet

• Thanks 1

I found the info by searching the web site. It does say to take the rockwool off:

How Do You Plant a Tiger Lotus Bulb?

If you purchase this plant from Aquarium Co-Op, the bulb will arrive in a plastic pot covered in rock wool. There may be some small leaves sprouting from the bulb, but they are often damaged in transit or may melt away after being planted. Not to worry – a healthy bulb is the most important part. Remove the bulb from the pot and rock wool, and rinse off any debris that is stuck to the bulb. Tiger lotuses get rather large, so plant it the midground or background of the fish tank. Gently push one-third of the bulb into the substrate such that the shoots or leaves are completely above ground. Do not bury the entire bulb or it will rot. If the bulb is floating at first, wait for it to become waterlogged enough to sink. As the roots grow into the substrate, they will firmly anchor the bulb in place.

• Thanks 1

On 1/29/2022 at 7:03 PM, Guppysnail said:

I’ve not ordered them from coop but I ordered two elsewhere that had no growth. Mine both sprouted beautifully. I hope they sprout for you. 

thank you fingers crossed

On 1/29/2022 at 7:42 PM, KittenFishMom said:

I found the info by searching the web site. It does say to take the rockwool off:

How Do You Plant a Tiger Lotus Bulb?

If you purchase this plant from Aquarium Co-Op, the bulb will arrive in a plastic pot covered in rock wool. There may be some small leaves sprouting from the bulb, but they are often damaged in transit or may melt away after being planted. Not to worry – a healthy bulb is the most important part. Remove the bulb from the pot and rock wool, and rinse off any debris that is stuck to the bulb. Tiger lotuses get rather large, so plant it the midground or background of the fish tank. Gently push one-third of the bulb into the substrate such that the shoots or leaves are completely above ground. Do not bury the entire bulb or it will rot. If the bulb is floating at first, wait for it to become waterlogged enough to sink. As the roots grow into the substrate, they will firmly anchor the bulb in place.

ok great info as of right now its still in the pot. tomorrow i will plant it  Gently push one-third of the bulb into the substrate such that the shoots or leaves are completely above ground. Do not bury the entire bulb as in structed

• Like 1