New Fish keep dying😡

Brad J Reinert

So I have a fully cycled 20 gallon tank setup for almost 2 years, but recently every time I buy fish I loss a majority of them within a week. Example: I bought 6 panda Corys and 4 otos, 3 days after purchasing them 1 oto and two pandas died now 10 days after 2 more pandas died. Should I be doing a salt quarantine to avoid these losses? 

Water parameter differences between you and the LFS can be an issue as others have mentioned also....

One thing to think of, Otos are mostly wild caught fish. Losses are not uncommon. For example, I put 7 in with my 10 Harlequins in a 20 gallon, 6 of them died (Don't worry later I got 7 more and they all made it- and they are worth it). Then the tank got Ich. It was a domino effect. There is potential they brought something in with them. The corys could just as well. 

Last time I got Otos (this time Tigers) I asked the LFS for some bags of THEIR water. I put them in a small Qt with the LFS's water with a sponge from one of my tanks. Over the course of their QT I changed small amounts of the LFS water out with my own. I had zero losses.

• Like 1