In-line heater??

BuzzDaddy21

Hi all, hope 2022 is starting off great.

I just got my 40B up and running on 1/16/22 using a Fluval 207 canister filter (Guppysnail helped me a lot) I`m on the fence about a heater and wonder if anybody has used an in-line heater for a canister filter. 

What would the cons be?

I mentioned a while back I would try to do pictures on this build, (Have also done the same build on a 20L and 20T, getting ready to do another 40B) my picture taking ability is poor and while I`m now able to get pics on computer I don`t like how some go sideways on the upload, not sure how to change. (I can rotate pics but that doesn't help.)

Looks like your 2022 is off an exciting start! 

The idea of on inline heater comes up a lot in the reefing world (60% of my hobby) and the idea of it is almost always better then the execution. Maintenance issues and heater failure (either on or off) usually means the risks are greater then the potential reward. In reefing we are looking a lot at redundancy to protect against catastrophic failure and inline heaters are one thing that in the event of an issue you would likely find out too late, then taking it offline means affecting the filtration for time. I understand wanting to keep the heater out of the display but some strategic use of plants and decor means you can hide it pretty well. A visible heater with separate temp controller (inkbird) limits the potential for issues (for me anyway). 

Ideally what your looking for is consistency in the temp across days and nights? I would track the temp over a few days, checking at random times and see what sort of fluctuation your getting. I have some unheated guppy tanks but in my basement fishroom the temp rarely budges from 74. If your in the main part of the house then room temps may be consistent enough to keep them happy. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 1/20/2022 at 11:08 AM, ScottieB said:

fluctuation

My use of dual heaters has all but eliminated fluctuations. My lowest is .4 below normal and my highest is .2-.4 over. I also use and recommend inkbird for fish safety though I have no experience with in line heaters. I place both heaters low and parallel with the substrate so I never need to unplug during maintenance since I consistently forget to plug things back in 🙄🤣

ORD 😍

• Like 4

On 1/20/2022 at 11:08 AM, ScottieB said:

main part of the house then room temps

For some reason all three 40B are at 70.3d, two 20L, one at 69.3d, and one at 68.5d and a 20T at 68.4d, all tanks in same room.

I can see the point about maintenance, yes Gup I now agree with what you said before.

Maybe I`ll just forget about heaters for now. (Sometimes it`s nice to take a long walk off a short pier.)🤪  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I second the downfalls of inline heaters outweighing the potential benefits. 

I run 2 heaters in the few tanks that are heated, and use my pymeter to prevent disasters. [Pymeter was easier to get than Inkbird, and I started external temp control for snakes, not fish. My fish are simply grateful that there is an obnoxious alarm if temps move outside their comfort level. ]