Madtom Catfish

Native Keeper

Hi everyone!

I recently had an idea to collect some madtoms from a nearby creek and put them in my tank (dw, the species in my area has healthy populations.)

So, my question is this:

Does anyone have experience with Madtoms? If so, dump as much info on me as u can, thx!

Slender madtom side view photo with black background

Edited by HydraSlayer
  • Like 1
  • Love 2

I have done research on tadpole madtoms with intention to catch them. As invasive species they are not illegal to harvest here. We have very stringent rules on native species in Washington state.

They prefer muddy substrates and have poor eyesight as most cats do. Largely insectivorous diet of small crustaceans and worms. As well as the occasional shrimp that it can catch. You will find them in swamps and marshes with slow moving water or river drainages. Other than that they are poorly studied. They live a very secretive life and are thought to have been introduced to many places across the U.S where channel catfish were introduced.

I wish you luck! They are quite cute in an ugly sort of way

source: USGS

@Biotope Biologist, the MDC seems to not have any reports of Slender Madtoms, or Noturus exilis, being invasive in my area. 

I usually only see them at midnight at the creek, so it makes sense.

I have brine shrimp and other frozen foods, so as long as it'll eat those, I should be fine. Hopefully I can one day convert it to pellets like I did with my Bullhead. Thx for the info!

Do you know they're behavior when kept together?

They are native to the eastern half of the united states, you should be okay. I just feel I always have to put that in as a Washington resident we have very strict collection laws in freshwater. I think put in place to make sure native species aren’t used as bait.

I believe they are friendly towards eachother and have been known to school when young. They are also safe to be kept with other fish as according to gut analysis they don’t even feed on dead fish.