Which Plant Next?

In my adventure into this hobby I was initially wary of adding live plants. Now, 3 months in, I have added a new plant every month (starting month 2) and have marimo moss balls and water lettuce. I plan to get some Java moss for fry tanks but would like to add something to my main tank as well. I want something that doesn't need to be planted in the substrate or need co2. I was considering anubias Nana petite or something like that. What are your suggestions and where would you put it in this tank?  I do have some fake rock decor that is not in there yet. I also have 2 pieces of driftwood but that would require some moving of stuff. 

20220104_142310.jpg

Edited by Cinnebuns

I LOVE Anubias, all of them. Petites are cool because they stay small. Anubias are rhizone plants so you can glue them to wood, a rock, decorations. I've also used airline suction cups with a little piece of airline attached, and tied the Anubias to it, then attached it to the aquarium wall. This way I can move the plant whenever I need/want!

The only downside to some people is that they don't grow fast, but to me that's just fine. They are some of the prettiest plants I have in my tanks. 

Techically you can float any plant and not plant them in substrate. @Guppysnail's tanks are a prime example of this so if there's a plant you're interested in you can try that. I like to put plants in pots in my tanks- they're still mobile that way and creates visual interest. 

Edited by xXInkedPhoenixX
  • Like 3

@xXInkedPhoenixX my LFS didn't have any anubias in stock so I got Java fern. Is this too much tubing? I opted for too much rather than too little to start but might wanna cut it more. 

Also I got some Java moss.  I would love for it to grow enough for me to put in other tanks but it's pretty slow growing right?  I know it doesn't NEED it, but would it grow faster with a little fertilizer?

20220117_155946.jpg

Edited by Cinnebuns

I love Java Fern, it’s versatile and easy to keep alive. Sometimes it’s hard to keep it looking perfect but that’s offset by how hard it is to kill. It’s an epiphyte plant so it  It doesn’t like having the rhizome buried in the substrate. It can be tied or super glued to wood or a bit of hardscape. Nice choice! 

If I choose to take it off this and put it onto a rock is that possible or is it glued forever now?  

@Guppysnail no fertilizer too?!  Wow!  I saw my water lettuce was dying until I started using fertilizer. Just enough nitrogen from fish?

Also, nobody answered this yet. Would adding some fertilizer to the tank I just put Java moss in encourage it to grow faster?  I know it's not needed but I would like it to grow faster for a little bit. 

On 1/17/2022 at 5:28 PM, Cinnebuns said:

Just enough nitrogen from fish?

No my source water runs between 10-20ppm sometimes 25 of nitrate. Thats why no fertilizer and im WAY to lazy to use individual nutrients and i just dont need to. I did add potassium a few times at 1/4 dose for my pennywort but it didnt help so i quit. 

• Like 1

On 1/17/2022 at 5:11 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

My water never seems to like to come down from 40ppm Nitrate so I'm afraid to use ferts!

Same! Messy pea puffers keep my nitrates higher than I would like. But I started noticing my Java fern showing signs of deficiency and I read from one of the lovely people on here (can't remember who) that Easy Green only raises nitrates by a couple ppm max so I just started dosing ferts again. 

• Like 1