Java fern not doing so well

This is my 55 gallon tank with three fancy goldfish....currently I got quite a bit of java fern in the middle with some crinum and Anubis as well. The java fern doesn't really seem to be doing well has a few yellow leaves and a few brown completely dead leaves. I water change about once a week and dose 5 pumps of easy green also once a week. Tank itself been going for about 6 months and 1 month since I put the fern in. any suggestions would help also light usually isn't this bright I have it on the lowest setting most time. Any questions let me know

2F1C8AF9-1E48-4904-B9D7-2EAB1301608C.jpeg

F450644D-1788-4941-8C93-690161DF6522.jpeg

8CFBAA84-5C2C-4FED-A6B9-AF9F1F5ABFA3.jpeg

C6ADBB36-9EB2-4EEF-B225-C6152C2E1429.jpeg

I've also had java fern look poorly when it is new; I think it can take a longer time to adjust to your tank water.  I would cut away the worst looking leaves and maybe add a midweek dose of ferts. Mine seemed to improve once I was putting Easy Green in on two seperate days instead of all at once, but I'm not sure if that's because the ferts helped the fern or because the ferts made more duckweed and other plants grow, which lowered the light level hitting the ferns. 

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure what year this was posted. 😑Just  thought,  I see you have goldfish in there. I found Nutrafin African Cichlid Conditioner (Hagen) works wonders for both golfish and Java fern. It has lots of calcium, potassium and some aquarium sodium. They seem to like it sodium and all. I use half strengh reccomended on the bottle. I use the lowest setting on my lights but you could play around with covers/filters for your tube to reduce the brightness somewhat. They don't mind bright (not too bright) but need to be conditioned to it and not all day.

A lot of these are not grown under water but in the air under misters, so when you buy try and get one that has been rooted to something already and conditioned to growing under water already at your supplier. Get it out of one their established tanks, pricier but worth it.

Just a thought the Nutrafin. Ferns can be fussy with ferts prefering high potassium zero phosphates and low nitrogen, bit like palm trees but much dilluted. If they don't like the fert they burn stunt and deform, melt go into decline, this is true for terrestrialy grown ferns too of course. Calcium ratio to magnesium (ideal in Nutrafin) is essential. Goldfish will easily supply enough of the nitrogen.

Edited by Anton

On 1/25/2022 at 5:00 AM, Anton said:

Not sure what year this was posted. 😑Just  thought,  I see you have goldfish in there. I found Nutrafin African Cichlid Conditioner (Hagen) works wonders for both golfish and Java fern. It has lots of calcium, potassium and some aquarium sodium. They seem to like it sodium and all. I use half strengh reccomended on the bottle. I use the lowest setting on my lights but you could play around with covers/filters for your tube to reduce the brightness somewhat. They don't mind bright (not too bright) but need to be conditioned to it and not all day.

A lot of these are not grown under water but in the air under misters, so when you buy try and get one that has been rooted to something already and conditioned to growing under water already at your supplier. Get it out of one their established tanks, pricier but worth it.

Just a thought the Nutrafin. Ferns can be fussy with ferts prefering high potassium zero phosphates and low nitrogen, bit like palm trees but much dilluted. If they don't like the fert they burn stunt and deform, melt go into decline, this is true for terrestrialy grown ferns too of course. Calcium ratio to magnesium (ideal in Nutrafin) is essential. Goldfish will easily supply enough of the nitrogen.

I will give it a try do you know where to get it?

On 2/2/2022 at 8:04 AM, plantedAlex said:

I will give it a try do you know where to get it?

It's made in Canada by Hagen, you should be able to get on line. I get from my local Pet fish market, most accesory shops sell it there. You could try your local aquarium shop too. 

On 2/1/2022 at 11:40 PM, Anton said:

It's made in Canada by Hagen, you should be able to get on line. I get from my local Pet fish market, most accesory shops sell it there. You could try your local aquarium shop too. 

really cant find it online... is there a similar brand product ?

On 2/4/2022 at 10:35 AM, plantedAlex said:

On 2/4/2022 at 10:35 AM, plantedAlex said:

https://www.fishmanshop.com/en/product02en/1884-hagen-nutrafin-african-cichlid-conditioner-250ml-a7970.html

Overseas shipping is just three dollars more.

https://www.petsandponds.com/en/aquarium-supplies/c6653/c235310/p16523756.html

From Canada

Probably best to get the large size.

K-Maart has it but I can't access. Its very widly available surprised it wouldn't be in America.