Crypts gone wild

TomO

Adding on to what @lefty o said, you can look for the runners or smaller plants next to the larger mother plants, pull those up and cut the runners. If you want to transfer the big plants, then just pull them up and cut the roots to a few inches or else you may end up disturbing more gravel than you wanted. 

• Like 1

On 1/11/2022 at 8:50 PM, Isaac M said:

Adding on to what @lefty o said, you can look for the runners or smaller plants next to the larger mother plants, pull those up and cut the runners. If you want to transfer the big plants, then just pull them up and cut the roots to a few inches or else you may end up disturbing more gravel than you wanted. 

this is true, crypts can have massive root systems. if you looked underneath my 120, it looks like someone dropped a large bowl of spaghetti from how many crypt roots there are running everywhere.

• Haha 1

I've had crypts go that wild as well.  I put my fingers into the substrate around the base of the plant and feel for its root ball, and then pluck that up. If there are runners that come with that, I'll snip those so I'm not tearing out a whole row of crypts.

I thin mine out all the time, and also prune back the overly large leaves and let the plants grow back in again. 

Everyone talks about 'crypt melt' associated with disturbing their roots, but I have only experience melt when planting newly acquired plants. I tear my existing crypts out all the time and replant them without any melt at all.

I don't get overly worried about disturbing the gravel (mine are in Fluorite sand). Yeah the water gets super cloudy, but that subsides in a day. Over time I learned, the substrate is going to get disturbed, the water is going to get cloudy no matter how careful I am. 

• Like 1