Houseplant Pics

Patrick_G

I am exceedingly jealous of people with good window exposures for houseplants.  Our home is abysmal.  Basically nothing south-facing.  The big picture window in the front is east and does get some decent sun for part of the day.

I went on a binge June/July '21 buying lots of plants.  Nothing is dying, but man are some of them slow.  A few are starting to really get traction now, particularly these staghorn ferns.  Interestingly, this picture was taken a month ago and the growth since then has been wild.  The round sterile frond on the center one has grown probably 3-4x the size in the pic.  They'd shown almost no growth since mounted.  Perhaps that transition is more difficult than I realize.  In any event, they're getting going now.  Just last night gave them two pipettes of aquarium water as I've never added any fertilizer to them.  

Anyone else grown these?

20220102_141238.jpg.d06616e75ebf4c08d4a2d3c62bbf1771.jpg

We have a few of those flexible arm lights that @Guppysnail suggested plus some LED grow light panels that are pretty much the same thing as the boards in aquarium lights. The ones we bought are really red but look great for certain plants like cactus. 
D43562A9-84E0-45D2-93B0-DADC1BE0040D.jpeg.ff81107228b0cb26952a67cb26493c25.jpeg

@jwcarlson, we (my wife) has plants growing without electric lights in north facing windows and even in our walk out basement. We literally live in a ravine in the woods so even the south side is shaded, but she manages to keep stuff growing. Keep at it! 😃

• Like 2

I've got pothos in my office, that does fine with just the office lights.  The stuff at home does OK, I think sometimes I'm just impatient.  Honestly, if it grew faster it might frustrate me because there's more growth to deal with 😄

I'd love to put in a decorative grow light system in the living room.  I was going to try it this winter thinking the plants wouldn't do as well, but with leaves off the front tree and the sun's lower angle (maybe)... they seem to be doing just fine.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Any chance one of you awesome people can i.d. this plant?

A lil back story. I picked it up from a vendor at a car show last year. The girl told me just put it near bright light and water it every week or so and it'll be happy. She was half wrong lol. This planter also had other plants that died within a month. This is the only only survivor and it barely made it. Come to find out this plant likes wet feet, not drying out in between watering. Since I couldn't find it online I started watering every couple days. Figured what the heck it's dieing anyway like everything else has. After a couple weeks there were new leaves. Took 4 months to go from almost dead bare stem to what it is today.

20220517_195447.jpg

20211120_161640_HDR.jpg

• 2 months later...

Watermelon vine is doing great. (Thanks again) I recently picked up a ZZ plant as well as boarded the pothos train with a golden pothos. I have more Aloes than I know what to do with and no patients for division and potting them all. Anthuriums seem to be doing well. Not great, but they're OK. I have other indoor plants, but no pictures at the moment. 

20220813_150231.jpg

20220813_150213.jpg

20220813_150159.jpg

• Love 2