feeding strategies

scott the fishman

HELLO FISH KEEPING FRIENDS!

I know i am not the only one who has struggled with this issue. That is trying to make sure every fish gets some food. i have four different kinds of barbs and 5 monk fish. these guys are fast swimming PIGS   the problem is my rummys and my cherry barbs and loaches dont get any food. I have tried feeding at each side of my 75g tank at the same time. the slower fish got some very little. I even would put food in the HOB where the water flows out again it helped a little. So i was at the LFS and was talking to them about this. she said she has the same issue and that she tried this food i will post a pic of the food. it real helps alot. it is very small pellets. and since i have very high water flow in my tank the pellets go every where. every fish now gets food and i dont need to over feed. IF any of you guys know of this food could you let me know if it is a very healthy for my fish. NOTE i do use sinking wafers for the pleco and loaches. and i give them cucumber twice a week as a treat. at this point i feed frozen brine shrimp two diffrent kinds of pellets cucumber and flake food. i switch it up so they get something different every other day. every other day is my feeding cycle.

IMG_20220110_081909.jpg

• Like 1

On 1/10/2022 at 9:36 AM, Guppysnail said:

My lfs had this. I had never heard if it so did not try it. Im currently using extreme nano pellets to get this effect. My fish love them. Maybe ill give this a go next. Thanks for sharing 

So far my fish seem to go crazzzzzzy when i feed it to them. today i mixed it with frozen brine shrimp in a small bowl. and i got to see my little guys fill there little bellies up with out over feeding

On 1/10/2022 at 9:44 AM, scott the fishman said:

HELLO FISH KEEPING FRIENDS!

I know i am not the only one who has struggled with this issue. That is trying to make sure every fish gets some food. i have four different kinds of barbs and 5 monk fish. these guys are fast swimming PIGS   the problem is my rummys and my cherry barbs and loaches dont get any food. I have tried feeding at each side of my 75g tank at the same time. the slower fish got some very little. I even would put food in the HOB where the water flows out again it helped a little. So i was at the LFS and was talking to them about this. she said she has the same issue and that she tried this food i will post a pic of the food. it real helps alot. it is very small pellets. and since i have very high water flow in my tank the pellets go every where. every fish now gets food and i dont need to over feed. IF any of you guys know of this food could you let me know if it is a very healthy for my fish. NOTE i do use sinking wafers for the pleco and loaches. and i give them cucumber twice a week as a treat. at this point i feed frozen brine shrimp two diffrent kinds of pellets cucumber and flake food. i switch it up so they get something different every other day. every other day is my feeding cycle.

IMG_20220110_081909.jpg

Reading the ingredients, this looks very high quality. 

Ingredients in foods are listed in order, by weight. The difference between krill and krill meal is when the krill was weighed. Straight "krill" in the ingredients means it was weighed before it was cooked and mixed in, and therefore is predominantly water weight.

Krill meal, salmon meal, etc was weighed *after* it was cooked, so a much more accurate ingredients list.

Guar gum, wheat and potato starch are the necessary binders so the food stays in pelleted form. They are very low on the list, so minimal amounts. 

If I find this food I will be giving it a try.

@bettta999 and @KittenFishMom reading these ingredients, I would probably alternate between this and the BugBites betta pellets for dried foods.

• Like 2

On 1/11/2022 at 1:52 PM, KittenFishMom said:

@Torrey He is a small betta. He sometimes has trouble with the betta bead food I have being too big. What would be a good size to order? This is from their web site:

A strand of hair is ~400 ųm thick. Most betta pellets are ~1.7 to 2 mm diameter. 

Search the size of bbs, and try to order the closest food size.

Without seeing your betta trying to eat pellets, I am unable to give a definitive answer. 

The A is essentially going to be a powder, I would look at the 2 sizes below the 1.7 mm size, if traditional betta pellets are too big. Other option is to soak larger pellets (1.7 size) in tank water before feeding, so the pellet is softer (like flying bugs) and more easily consumed 

Be sure to soak only a couple of pellets at a time, and feed one at a time, to reduce the risk of too much waste. Once one pellet is consumed, offer the next pellet, and vacuum/suction out any leftover. 

On 1/11/2022 at 12:36 PM, Torrey said:

Reading the ingredients, this looks very high quality. 

Ingredients in foods are listed in order, by weight. The difference between krill and krill meal is when the krill was weighed. Straight "krill" in the ingredients means it was weighed before it was cooked and mixed in, and therefore is predominantly water weight.

Krill meal, salmon meal, etc was weighed *after* it was cooked, so a much more accurate ingredients list.

Guar gum, wheat and potato starch are the necessary binders so the food stays in pelleted form. They are very low on the list, so minimal amounts. 

If I find this food I will be giving it a try.

@bettta999 and @KittenFishMom reading these ingredients, I would probably alternate between this and the BugBites betta pellets for dried foods.

awsome thank you for that detailed break down explanation of the fish food.

• Like 1

On 1/10/2022 at 10:44 AM, scott the fishman said:

and since i have very high water flow in my tank the pellets go every where.

Do these stay in the water column long, or do they sink out quickly?  I'm trying to find a near neutrally buoyant micro-pellet.  I am using Hikari right now and once they get past the surface tension they drop like rocks.  If these stay suspended for sometime, they might be just the ticket for me.

On 1/10/2022 at 9:25 PM, tnnlynch said:

and daphnia

Are you using frozen, live, or freeze dried?  If FD, I'd be curious how you are feeding them.  I have trouble getting FD daphnia and cyclops into the water column.  The air under the shells seems to keep them on the surface, which means they don't get to my fry effectively.

I am feeding live daphnia.  They swim for quite awhile in the planted tank with the fish chasing after them.  The extreme nano pellets sink after a few minutes unless caught up in the floating plants.

The frozen brine shrimp seem to float about in the filter current fine not sure if they are too big for the fry.

Edited by tnnlynch
more to say...
  • Like 1

On 1/11/2022 at 5:40 PM, OnlyGenusCaps said:

Do these stay in the water column long, or do they sink out quickly?  I'm trying to find a near neutrally buoyant micro-pellet.  I am using Hikari right now and once they get past the surface tension they drop like rocks.  If these stay suspended for sometime, they might be just the ticket for me.

Are you using frozen, live, or freeze dried?  If FD, I'd be curious how you are feeding them.  I have trouble getting FD daphnia and cyclops into the water column.  The air under the shells seems to keep them on the surface, which means they don't get to my fry effectively.

good question. they stay in the water column for about 2 min. but my flow is very strong i am  moving 1200g per hour so the pellets are moving every where hope that helps you question

• Thanks 1