Snail Quarantine?

Kurt Brutting

I haven't and have been fine- the only time I did was when I got them shipped to me- I wanted to make sure they were alive- thankfully I did that because most of them didn't make it. When I've gotten them in the stores they're obviously ones I picked that were alive. I do have a friend however that got a mystery snail from a snail tank and apparently brought home a hitchhiker egg sack as she had an explosion of rams horn snails. 

• Like 1

On 1/8/2022 at 8:37 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

I haven't and have been fine- the only time I did was when I got them shipped to me- I wanted to make sure they were alive- thankfully I did that because most of them didn't make it. When I've gotten them in the stores they're obviously ones I picked that were alive. I do have a friend however that got a mystery snail from a snail tank and apparently brought home a hitchhiker egg sack as she had an explosion of rams horn snails. 

I have had my bladder snails lay visible clutches on my mystery snails on occasion 

I have a Rams horn tank for my clown loaches and they lay and hatch like crazy. Luckily my clown loaches go crazy for them, but I wanted to get mystery or nerite snails for my 40 breeder as part of the clean up crew and they are super cool. What is more recommended between the two Mystery or Nerite snails? 4AC9BE43-EF74-446D-9CDE-4ECDA89A481E.jpeg.ba7d51292f2ebdec845ac378f23e67e8.jpeg
I appreciate all the advice. 

@Kurt Brutting IMO if you want personality and fun Mystery Snails are where it's at, they get pretty big and have a good sized bio load in your tank. They do "ok"(again IMO) with clean up of excess foods and meh on algae and you do typically have to supplement their food sources. I have had up to 4 in my 20 gallon, I now have 2. 

5 of my 6 tanks I have Nerites of all kinds, Zebra, Olive, Horned, and they are incredible algae/clean up crews. I've found the horned Nerites the best at literally everything (they clean up hardscape, glass, plants) but they are all irreplaceable in my tanks. They've got personality too, but mostly as the workaholics of a tank. 

Edited by xXInkedPhoenixX
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For sheer personality and antics mystery snails hands down. They play in bubbles, para-snail through the water from the top to the substrate and are nosy and mine are slightly interactive because they are nosey so I let them crawl on my hand when they come out of the tank during maintenance to put them back in. I don’t do this regularly because the oils in our skin is not good for them I think. They are incredibly graceful and their beautiful  little faces warm my heart. They need a lot of supplemental feeding with veggies and wafers etc. they lay eggs above the water line in a clump so easy to see and wipe off and no population issues. 
Nerites are busy bodies all day every day. They make crazy zig zag marks through the yummies on the glass and have cute little mouths though I never see my olives (Nemo) face. He digs into the gravel and leaves trails as he eat the yummies on the glass under my gravel (it’s a very thin layer). He also likes to bury himself to sleep. He often gets abducted by aliens and I don’t see him for a few days just his glass tracks. He keeps his tank squeaky clean.  Nemo won’t eat anything I give him except scraping a touch of repashy off a rock I spread it on now and again so he needs lots of algae to stay healthy. I suspect but cannot confirm he may have on occasion nommed a bit of veggies from my mystery snails and plecos. Nemo is a boy so no eggs. You cannot visibly distinguish boy nerites from girl nerites unless the boy is on top being frisky. Girls leave nerm glitter eggs on everything that all but permanently weld themselves on. You can get them off but elbow grease is involved. The babies cannot hatch and survive in fresh water so no population issues. Hope that helps. Please share pictures of your new snaily  baby when you choose one. 
edit to add…I would get both 😍

Edited by Guppysnail
  • Love 1