Help, new fish are dying ….maybe Ich?

Tonyu

Hi , I have a 10 gallon tank for a little over a year. I had 10 cardinal and neon tetra with only 3 cardinal tetras remaining. I added 3 neon glofish tetras (bigger) about two weeks ago and suddenly they have been dying one by one. I test for nitrates and ammonia regularly and it’s always perfect. The only issue I have been having for a few months is green algae, if I skip a week of doing a water change the water will turn green and the decorations as well. I asked the people at the fish store and they said it’s probably high phosphates. They gave me a phosphate remover to leave in the tank for a few weeks. It didn’t help much. Regular water changes and the cleaning of decorations keeps it better.

As of right now I have 1 neon glofish tetra and 2 little tetras left. Today I noticed that one of the little ones is covered in white spots, so I did a water change right away and changed the filters and put some ich medicine. Was it the new fish that brought the disease? Is it really Ich? Do you know why I have the green algae? How do I get rid of the algae once and for all?

I’ve attached a photo of the fish with the white spots and a photo of the algae on the glass.

image.jpg

image.jpg

I am no expert, but I just went through the same thing, it sure looks like ick to me.  There are two types of Ick I hear.  Regular ole ick and stress ick.  Stress ick is caused when the conditions in the tank make the fish “nervous” and they develop ick symptoms.  So if tank conditions are normal and the tank in established it seems to be ole regular ick.  I hope this info help.

Ted K

Increased temperatures are helpful - go in 2 degree increments until you get to 29 c or 84 f, adding a little aquarium salt start with 1 tablespoon/15 grams to 5 gallons, if you see improvements then you can increase to 15 grams to 3 gallons and when the Ich is gone start reducing temps back down and stop the salt slowly water changing it out of the water over a week or so.