First REAL Adventure in Live Plants

So I've learned that aquarium keeping is more than keeping a pet, but a long term project. I've only been in be the hobby about 2 months but have soaked up a ton of info. My adventures into live plants started with the easiest, marimo moss balls. Challenge level 0.5. I decided to up my game. I did a lot of research about easy to care for plants and what would work well with my fish and decided on a floating plant and got dwarf water lettuce. Immediately my guppies were in love. I have fun making a corral for it too. I think I made the right choice. 

My concern is that in my research I found water lettuce does not need fertilizer. I have noticed some of the smaller leaves becoming discolored. I have watched several videos and read several articles and can't decide if it's just normal and it will grow back, or it I need some fertilizer. What do you think?  

20220101_222910.jpg

On 1/1/2022 at 8:38 PM, Cinnebuns said:

So I've learned that aquarium keeping is more than keeping a pet, but a long term project. I've only been in be the hobby about 2 months but have soaked up a ton of info. My adventures into live plants started with the easiest, marimo moss balls. Challenge level 0.5. I decided to up my game. I did a lot of research about easy to care for plants and what would work well with my fish and decided on a floating plant and got dwarf water lettuce. Immediately my guppies were in love. I have fun making a corral for it too. I think I made the right choice. 

My concern is that in my research I found water lettuce does not need fertilizer. I have noticed some of the smaller leaves becoming discolored. I have watched several videos and read several articles and can't decide if it's just normal and it will grow back, or it I need some fertilizer. What do you think?  

20220101_222910.jpg

I would go ahead and buy fertilizer. To be a hundred percent honest, all floating plants would need fertilizer. I had Amazon frog-bit and I didn't give enough fertilizer to it and all of it melted away. So, logically I would say that you should definitely go ahead and buy some fertilizer because it will totally help the overall condition of your water lettuce. Also, welcome to the hobby and best of luck!

• Like 1

Oh coop must have changed that policy since i last looked. I tried it and it worked this time. Every other time I just needed 1 item it said they wouldn't only ship orders $50 or more so I would just get something similar on Amazon. 

Edited by Cinnebuns

On 1/1/2022 at 8:56 PM, Cinnebuns said:

@HydraSlayer @BettasAreSuperior I was kinda thinking the same. I would love to order easy green but I cant afford to buy $50 worth of stuff to allow them to ship to me. Any other brand you would suggest maybe? Saw another YouTuber suggest thrive. Maybe seachem?

I agree with @HydraSlayer's post above. Seachem would totally work.  @Cinnebuns, you mentioned Thrive and I would hands down recommend Thrive over Seachem because Thrive's ingredients are a lot more than Seachem. I use Thrive and my tank is totally flourishing. If possible, both would be good because Thrive has some ingredients that Seachem doesn't and vice versa. Benefit of both worlds! But I was on a budget too and Thrive would be my choice if I had to pick one.

• Thanks 1

@Kurt Brutting yeah that's what I see now but I swear when I tried a few months ago they wouldn't ship at all unless it was $50 before taxes or shipping. Maybe it changed.  

Infact I remember having an order than was like $45 or something before taxes and shipping and just deleted it because I didn't wanna buy something I don't need just to get it shipping. Found something similar on Amazon instead. 

• Like 1

On 1/1/2022 at 10:56 PM, Cinnebuns said:

@HydraSlayer @BettasAreSuperior I was kinda thinking the same. I would love to order easy green but I cant afford to buy $50 worth of stuff to allow them to ship to me. Any other brand you would suggest maybe? Saw another YouTuber suggest thrive. Maybe seachem?

Are you outside the US?  I don’t know their policy on shipping overseas, but they’ll ship you whatever amount you want inside the US.  They give you free shipping if your order is over $59.00, but their shipping isn’t outrageous if you don’t have enough on your order to qualify for the free shipping.

@BettasAreSuperior @HydraSlayer the water lettuce is looking worse so I ran to my LFS to grab something while I wait for easy green in the mail. All they have was fluval's fertilizer so I'm using that for now. My question is how often to dose fertilizer in general. I assume weekly?  Also, is it beneficial to maybe do a little more often until what I have looks healthier or am I just risking algae then?

20220103_220826.jpg

Edited by Cinnebuns

On 1/1/2022 at 8:56 PM, Cinnebuns said:

Seachem or Thrive is fine but I would suggest Thrive. Both work totally fine though! Those are the only brands I would reccomend. (Easy green is really good too, if you can get it.)

On 1/3/2022 at 8:04 PM, Cinnebuns said:

@BettasAreSuperior @HydraSlayer the water lettuce is looking worse so I ran to my LFS to grab something while I wait for easy green in the mail. All they have was fluval's fertilizer so I'm using that for now. My question is how often to dose fertilizer in general. I assume weekly?  Also, is it beneficial to maybe do a little more often until what I have looks healthier or am I just risking algae then?

20220103_220826.jpg

Oh! I didn't see this. Easy green is supposed to be dosed to 20 ppm nitrate so test your water weekly until you hit 20 ppm nitrate consistently.

Edited by BettasAreSuperior