Do you struggle with auto fish feeders?

Tedrock

Does anyone struggle with auto feeders?  I know I do.  Trying to find the right food for the fish is a problem.  Then avoiding the food dump.  I had a huge spill today I don’t know if my kids opened the door notches or what.  I ripped that feeder off that tank. Then I began a huge vacuum project.  

I guess you need to ask yourself why you have a feeder?  It was so my fish could get several small meals a day rather than once a day by hand.  Well at least that is what I told myself.

What are your thoughts?

Many thanks 

Ted K

14962D89-BB65-4C22-BA98-0C4E25F42F8C.png

• Like 1

I'm against them myself. Now I have to say- I've never had one for my fish and the only reason I have one for my cats is when I leave for a few days (my fish would be fine). The reason I'm against them is for the exact reason you mentioned, the potential for a dump. I run low tech tanks for that precise reason. The less I have on my tanks the less chance I have for a potential disaster. Plus, I enjoy feeding time anyway. 🙂 They like me and not a machine....no Matrix in my house. Hehe. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

They absolutely come in handy but also they are a huge liability. When finely tuned, they’re wonderful. But they have the potential to cause major havoc, too. I view them as a necessary headache, I suppose. I like to know my fish will get at least one small feeding a day no matter what, especially on tanks in my classroom over the weekend / on long weekends and breaks. I check and recheck the feeders multiple times a week though to make sure no mood, still have battery, not dumping too much, etc etc etc….

• Thanks 1

On 12/30/2021 at 9:50 PM, Tedrock said:

I guess you need to ask yourself why you have a feeder?  It was so my fish could get several small meals a day rather than once a day by hand.  Well at least that is what I told myself.

I think for adult fish one feeding per day is preferable to multiple small feedings. Some fish compete for food better than others. They can be quicker, eat faster, or bully other fish in order to get a bigger share of the food. If you put the food in a little at a time, the more competitive eaters will get more of it, maybe all of it. A timid or slower fish has a better chance if all the food goes in at once, and not all in one spot. Same for bottom feeders - more food gets to the bottom if it all goes in at once.

But on the subject of auto feeders, what is the best one? I know my fish can go a few days without eating, but I think I need a feeder for longer absences. But if feeders are not reliable, it might be better to get a neighbor to come in every 2 or 3 days to put in some pre-measured food.

Edited by HH Morant
  • Thanks 1