Maracyn

DeDe

I have used Maracyn for 4 different fish in a hospital tank, over a period of time, not all at once. All 4 times I have used it, within 30 min. My fish is dead or almost dead. Seemingly, im waiting too late to place into the hospital. After 3 or 4 days I have noticed a fish not eating normally and secluding themselves continually, I pull them to the hospital so I can view them better for a few hours to determine what the issue. I dont understand, it scares me to use this medication, what if I had to treat a whole 180 gallon aquarium with 80 mbunas? Would i lose all of them? I'm at a loss with this medication, what am I doing wrong?

• Like 1

On 12/29/2021 at 7:53 AM, Colu said:

The hospital tank was it cycled did you add an extra air stone when treating with maracyn did you check the water parameters were same in your hospital tank as you main tank 

This tank has been set up for hospital tank for months with different fish in and out. Then, recently, I had 12 baby green terrors in there for a couple of months to grow out. I did a partial water change and ended up with an ammonia spike and the babies died. So, I siphoned out most of the water but used a seasoned sponge in the clean water. I put a sprinkle of Epson salt for a bloated fish. Did a 50% water change and then added the Maracyn. I did check all parameters before and after, parameters did not change.

There is always the possibility that the fish in the hospital tank were just too far gone however I would think that there was probably a change in water temp or perameters that caused the fish to die. I have used maracyn successfully multiple times and I know that Cory has done extensive testing with it so I would trust the medicine itself. You might also have expired maracyn which could be causing the problem.

• Like 1

Most folks agree that antibiotics like Maracyn are more effective if given in the food. Some (see aquariumscience.org) believe they have no effect if administered in the water column.

I think it is likely that the fish died from the ailments that caused them to be moved to the hospital tank, rather than from the medication.