Bettas that won't change color?

CalmedByFish

As far as I know, it's essentially random to the naked eye.

IME, darker bettas tend to change color less often, but I've still had it happen - so it may be that a darker blue may stay blue. In my pea brain, I imagine it has something to do with the darker pigments overpowering other factors, but I have absolutely no evidence to back that up.

On 12/21/2021 at 7:55 PM, StockEwe49 said:

I did not know this happened to most bettas? I thought only koi bettas did this. Maybe wild bettas don't? 

I think it's more prevalent in Kois, but I've definitely had bettas change drastically. The Platinum Bettas you see at big box stores often turn darker over time and end up kinda pinkish with some dark gray mottling almost in some cases. Brightly-colored reds tend to fade to a less brilliant shade due to age, I've noticed. But I have no clue which genetic line tends to have more issues with it.

• Thanks 1

On 12/21/2021 at 7:02 PM, Beardedbillygoat1975 said:

Alien blue betta most likely would not lose that color. This feels like more of an issues for Betta splendens. 

I just came across a picture of an alien blue a couple days ago, and my jaw dropped at the color! Can you tell me anything about aliens?

... is a question I thought I'd never ask.

I have a marbled blue and yellow plakat betta headed my way in early January. I'll let you know if he retains his beautiful colors!

As far as Alien Bettas, all I know is that they're a wild-type hybrid and absolutely stunning to look at. Get a lid for your tank because wilds and wild hybrids are great jumpers. You can probably source them on Aquabid through a transhipper, but I know of a few reputable shops that also carry them.

• Like 1