Dehumidifier water

Turtle

I put in a dehumidifier in my small fish room. I have a 50gal barrel for the drain off. The top off rate on the tank's is up and  I'm very cool with that.

The question is did I just make 45gl of R/O water. The test strip showed GH/KH at 0 PH 6.0 

Hmm?  Not sure if I have any aliens growing in my dehumidifier yet it's in a bedroom and new I have to empty the barrel. I did top off 3 tank's with it adding cichlid salt,s to the  Tanganikan tank,s and nothing to the South America  bio  just about one inch to each.

I tried this on some sensitive plants.  Killed them.  Turns out dehumidifiers are really good at getting aluminum (aluminium for my British friends -  I know, I know, it's the correct way 🙄) into the water.  I'm not sure why, but when I sent the water off to the testing lab it came back with much higher Al than is safe to drink.  I found out others already knew this. 

Yesterday Too GIF - Yesterday Too Late - Discover & Share GIFs

• Like 1

On 12/19/2021 at 8:56 PM, OnlyGenusCaps said:

I tried this on some sensitive plants.  Killed them.  Turns out dehumidifiers are really good at getting aluminum (aluminium for my British friends -  I know, I know, it's the correct way 🙄) into the water.  I'm not sure why, but when I sent the water off to the testing lab it came back with much higher Al than is safe to drink.  I found out others already knew this. 

Yesterday Too GIF - Yesterday Too Late - Discover & Share GIFs

HVAC guy here.

The reason the aluminum content was high is due to the evaporator coil material which the water condensed on. The water is acidic so it tends to leach aluminum and copper from the coil. I wouldn’t use it in my tanks. You could use it to water plants but know that it has no mineral content so I wouldn’t use it alone for the plants. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1