Random Flow Generator cleaning?

OnlyGenusCaps

For my second question of the evening...  😜

I've had a random flow generator on a loc-line return for about 3+ years now.  It's been awesome!  When I feed I can watch the current shift and see that there are no dead spaces in the aquarium.  All without moving parts, which still wiggs me out.  But, I've noticed lately the "random" component of the output has diminished quite severely.  It's more of a "predictable flow generator" now. 

I'm curious, has anyone else ever experienced this?  I'm planning on jamming a pipe-cleaner through in the next day or so in hopes that will revive it, but if someone else has fought this battle before and has any tips, or indeed knows for sure what causes this, I'd be all ears.

Thanks in advance!

• Like 2

Crazy! I had to look this up…

Maybe you’ve  got a different brand, but in concept the “random flow generator” probably works about the same.

Is this for salt, or freshwater? Either way, I assume regular cleaning and maintenance might be necessary.

I’mold school, so I’d probably call up this company and put your question to them by phone…

090D13A9-3E34-47F8-B892-BE79EDB8BE4D.jpeg.19f60ab950f920d423a15e7443572107.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes, they are really interesting, and I'm sold on them for returns from my sumps.  If I ever make a river tank, I'll figure out how to attach them to the outlets of the powerheads because I think that would best replicate the turbulent flow. 

But, call?!  Call?!  What is this the 1980's?!  Okay, I could probably call. 

Partly, I was curious what others' experiences were with these here, but perhaps I am the only one using them around here?  It's a FW tank, but I'll admit to being more of a gadget junkie than most on the fresher side.  I'd fit right in with the reefers if I had an inkling to do that sort of thing; largely because I definitely have the "ooh, shiny, new-kind of equipment - I want!" thing going on. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Wow, I never knew these existed either! Definitely going to snag a couple. Hopefully, someone who has used these before can let us know for future and current maintenance. If not let us know if the pipe cleaners work. I fear you might be the only one here who has experience with these, as most of us steer clear of reef systems. 

• Like 1

On 12/22/2021 at 11:51 AM, Biotope Biologist said:

I fear you might be the only one here who has experience with these, as most of us steer clear of reef systems.

Please don't misunderstand.  I am in no way a reefer.  I do love trying gadgets out.  I'd do a thread on aquarium gadget trials here, but I'm solid that would violate the reviewing products ban (which I'm totally not complaining about, BTW, just recognizing I can't do a thread like that).  But I am prone to getting gadgets.  This one was super cool!  I'll be curious to know your thoughts @Biotope Biologist.

• Like 1

I had one of these random flow things on a saltwater reef tank years ago and about once a year it would get to where it didn't move at all or very slowly. I would have to take it off the loc-line and soak it in some vinegar water to loosen deposits up and then rinse out and even use a small brush to scrub it, there would be a whole lot of nastiness come out. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

So, I cleaned it with a pipe cleaner.  Honestly, there wasn't as much gunk in there as I had anticipated.  I suspect it was the narrow choke points drawing from the internal water source that had clogs in them; this device draws water from both the internal returning water and from the tank water around the back of the head.  The fins that direct the water have a narrow point, and it was from here I pulled most of the junk.  I suspect this region might be key to creating the "random" flow. 

These heads are 3D printed for sure, as you can see the layering characteristic of that mode of production.  In the past, this has caused my "Magic Sponges" to shred on the surface.  But the with the pipe cleaner the algae and mulm came off easily and cleanly.  It was also easier to remove and replace the head than is true of most Loc-Line attachments, so that was nice.

The simple cleaning seems to have restored its function!  It is back to creating flow that clearly runs through the rockwork better.  I suspect this will help the fry hiding in there out a bit.

For anyone curious, here is a photo of the gunk from the cleaning.  It really didn't seem to take much material to change the flow, but with how easy it is to clean, I think I'll just do so more regularly in the future.

1121087519_RFGclean.JPG.caf773532517aef9f739039f48f4d869.JPG

• Like 2

I like them too. I think it's a very cool idea. Mine seem to clog often, usually just enough such that the 'randomness' becomes too predictable!

I drop them, along with any small, mechanical filter parts encrusted with whatever gunk, in an ultrasonic jewelry cleaner with just water and it's like new in a few minutes. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/23/2021 at 8:37 AM, dasaltemelosguy said:

I like them too. I think it's a very cool idea. Mine seem to clog often, usually just enough such that the 'randomness' becomes too predictable!

I drop them, along with any small, mechanical filter parts encrusted with whatever gunk, in an ultrasonic jewelry cleaner with just water and it's like new in a few minutes. 

I know these are only ~$40-60 but immediately in my brain I thought. Ah yes an ultrasonic jewelry cleaner to clean the poor off my Rolexes ( I hope that joke isn't in poor taste [pun intended], if so moderators let me know). That's a great idea though, this is why I love this forum, y'all are ingenious.

On 12/22/2021 at 4:51 PM, OnlyGenusCaps said:

Please don't misunderstand.  I am in no way a reefer.  I do love trying gadgets out.  I'd do a thread on aquarium gadget trials here, but I'm solid that would violate the reviewing products ban (which I'm totally not complaining about, BTW, just recognizing I can't do a thread like that).  But I am prone to getting gadgets.  This one was super cool!  I'll be curious to know your thoughts @Biotope Biologist.

I in no way meant to insinuate that you were a reefer 😋 I too find those systems to be not in my taste. But learning about the gadgets they have created is always a treat. I am a gadget head that has a bit of an identity crisis. On one hand I love innovative tech, on the other I find myself repulsed by unnecessary extravagant tech

• Haha 1
  • Love 1

On 12/23/2021 at 10:37 AM, dasaltemelosguy said:

I like that idea!  Given how hard my water is, this could be a game changer for some stuff.

On 12/23/2021 at 11:37 AM, Biotope Biologist said:

On one hand I love innovative tech, on the other I find myself repulsed by unnecessary extravagant tech

I battle something like that as well.  I grew up in Silicon Valley (biked past Apple world HQ to get to school for Pete's sake), but I hate tech for the sake of tech.  When tech solves a problem or makes things easier, I'm all in.  But things where the main selling point is that they are new, do not automatically get my vote.  It is why, outside of this, I'm pretty well not on social media (okay, I did start a YouTube account so I could post vids here, but it's related). 

I'm also this oddly dissenting voice at my kids' school about tech.  The argument of "they need to learn how to use this stuff because it is so pervasive" doesn't hold water for me.  They make iPads easy to use on purpose, you know.  You want to teach kids to program them?  Sure.  You want to teach them to doom scroll?  I'm pretty sure no instruction is needed. 

• Love 1