Just a quick helpful tip if you're upgrading to a canister.

HotTunaCartel

I wanted to declutter my 44g longboy.  I ended up after research getting a Fluval 407 and was pleasantly surprised that the aco medium sponge filter fits perfectly in the trays.  I wanted to get as much bb into the new filter so along with my old media I also put in the two sponge filters into a tray 

IMG_5380.jpeg

• Like 3

@laritheloud I think I might keep a tray just to always have a sponge I can throw in my qt 

@Beardedbillygoat1975  Yea that was why I wanted to declutter it.  Its the one in our kitchen, even with a co2 bottle on one side and the 407 on the other I just didn't want other "stuff" all around the tank.  

I hope you can get something for sure.  In all honesty with the flow this has I feel like it would perform similarly as my old fx4 from years ago when I had a 75g Cichlid tank.  I'm using the 407 to blow down the back wall to diffuse the co2.  

• Thanks 1

@HotTunaCartelI have two of the Marineland C-220 canister filters and I think they are great, but different strokes for different folks.

I removed the bio-balls and the bio-rings and replaced them with bio-foam in all four media trays to have more of the beneficial bacteria. I did add a teaspoon of Fluval peat pellets to a media bag to place between the bio-foam to make the water more acidic for my blackwater fish. 

Regardless of the make of your canister filter, you're going to love it.

• Like 1

On 12/19/2021 at 8:25 PM, Beardedbillygoat1975 said:

@HotTunaCarteli was so tempted Black Friday to get in on those FX4 and 6 deals but was worried it wouldn’t fit in the cabinet of my 45 g. I was right so I’m down to Eheim Classics or a Fluval 407 as my choices. 

I would have used the fx4 on this tank but they are monsters lol and it didn't even fit on the side between the doorway and stand lol.   I was looking at the Eheims as well but figuring I've had Fluvals for years I just went with the 407. 

I did really like that the Eheim is pretty much a media bucket.   

• Like 1

I understand why you used the rocks but I wouldn't have myself if the sponge is cycled. You would probably be just fine the tank is full of  BB  you are losing out on what a good porous media in the filter would do for you. If the tank has been running for a while now and your just making changes to your type of filter using your old sponge filters you should be ok. I myself hate them filter types the O rings and such. Make sure your useing some lube on the rings.  Just  chep Vaseline is fine. 

• Like 1

@Turtle the matrix has been in the tank for about 6 months now.  I just wanted to add anything else I could in there that was already in the tank.  

I know there is a love/hate with different types of filters but for the 7 years I've had the fx4 going (retired now) and I'm not even sure how long I had the marineland c-160 I've never had an o ring leak. Though I do use silicone on any seals during servicing.     

• Like 1

On 12/20/2021 at 5:50 AM, Guppysnail said:

I use all 07 models. I use only the sponge that it comes with and add coop coarse plus 20-30 ppi matten cut to fit. Love the 07’s. I use Aqua too silicone. I’ve never had leaks either but I do sit each one inside a tote just in case. 

I may switch it up at some point.  I do have some 30 ppi foam that I may use in the second tray instead of floss that way but still waiting until I get rid of these diatoms.  The intake sponge is literally covered in it and have to clean it today but amazingly its getting much better.  

Good to know about the filters and good idea!

I use a 407 on my 75. One tip is that the grey lever on the intake/outfall connection is actually flow adjustment. I have mine set at about 50% most of the time.

I recommend lubing the seals with a silicone lubricant rather than a petroleum based. I use food grade silicone lube myself but I use it on my kegs and other brewing seals also. A little goes a long way.

The canister holds just over a gallon of water. Just for reference.

I still have mixed feelings about the 407... But the more I use it the more I like it.

• Like 1

On 12/20/2021 at 10:30 AM, Minanora said:

Good to know about the filters and good idea!

I use a 407 on my 75. One tip is that the grey lever on the intake/outfall connection is actually flow adjustment. I have mine set at about 50% most of the time.

I recommend lubing the seals with a silicone lubricant rather than a petroleum based. I use food grade silicone lube myself but I use it on my kegs and other brewing seals also. A little goes a long way.

The canister holds just over a gallon of water. Just for reference.

I still have mixed feelings about the 407... But the more I use it the more I like it.

I just read that in the directions last night :) 

I ended up going about 50% as well

Question for you, when I was reading the directions they say to not fill it with water, I have well water so no issues with chlorine etc.  Is there a reason they say not to fill it? 

I like it a lot so far, much easier than the fx4 for sure and good flow for what I need it for with my tank.  My only issue is that there are no grab handles to pick it up.  

On 12/20/2021 at 10:35 AM, HotTunaCartel said:

I just read that in the directions last night 🙂

I ended up going about 50% as well

Question for you, when I was reading the directions they say to not fill it with water, I have well water so no issues with chlorine etc.  Is there a reason they say not to fill it? 

I like it a lot so far, much easier than the fx4 for sure and good flow for what I need it for with my tank.  My only issue is that there are no grab handles to pick it up.  

Yep it won’t prime correctly for whatever reason. Also if you struggle priming make sure you water stays over the outflow and they prime in just a few pumps. 

This is from empty to clean. Close the valve and unplug to temp shut off and it turns back on with no priming

• Like 2