pseudomugil breeding!

KoolFish97

Hey all! 

Hope your all safe, well and having fishy mad fun! 

I wanted to get all your advice from anyone with a bit of experience on pseudomugils I was looking to start breeding some luminatus. 

Anyone have any tips and tricks? 

What about outdoor pond and colony breeding? Tips for pond size, care, plants? 

If it helps I'm in Australia NSW and it's just starting to hit our summer tubbing season and I want to get my real first tubs going and would love it to be Australian and New Guinea fish! 

And while your at it name your favourite rainbow/pseudomugil fish! Or Aussie native!

Cheers and thank you my fellow Nerms!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KoolFish97 said:

Hey all! 

I wanted to get all your advice from anyone with a bit of experience on pseudomugils I was looking to start breeding some luminatus. 

If it helps I'm in Australia NSW and it's just starting to hit our summer tubbing season and I want to get my real first tubs going and would love it to be Australian and New Guinea fish! 

And while your at it name your favourite rainbow/pseudomugil fish! Or Aussie native!

I got my first group of Pseudomugil furcatus and I love them 🙂 best of luck  I want to get the gertrudae too

• Like 1

Knowing my luck I'll fall In love with them all and want to breed every type 😂 greenhouse/fishroom is most likely in the future. 

Rainbow fish are surprisingly pricey here in Aus so I'm getting a hold of what I can and breed what I get the chance too and of course I've fallen in love with them. Haha.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, KoolFish97 said:

Knowing my luck I'll fall In love with them all and want to breed every type 😂 greenhouse/fishroom is most likely in the future. 

Rainbow fish are surprisingly pricey here in Aus so I'm getting a hold of what I can and breed what I get the chance too and of course I've fallen in love with them. Haha.

Damn really they are ? That’s crazy thought they would be cheaper there since they from there take a road trip and catch them yourself lol @Blakes Aquatics Is from out there I’m sure he knows people where to get them 

Sadly so, may just be Australia's generally a little pricier with freshwater fish or maybe it's just due to lack of popularity/breeders. But regardless I love them and for a hobby I'm happy. 

I always thought the same but seems that even the native to Aus ones aren't that cheap by comparison to many exotics. 

I'd love to know any secret spots for rainbows and natives! I do already collect many species of native fish gudgeons, glass shrimp, riffle shrimp smelt etc. But not any rainbows of yet. From my understanding in NSW (not northern NSW) their is only 2 or 3 rainbow fish species. If I wanted any of the northern kinds it's 9+ hours of driving north for me 😂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Leo2o915 said:

Damn really they are ? That’s crazy thought they would be cheaper there since they from there take a road trip and catch them yourself lol @Blakes Aquatics Is from out there I’m sure he knows people where to get them 

Hey cheers,

Yeah your best best is to connect with ANGFA  NSW and youll find heaps of breeders who will readily pass on mops or fish way cheaper than any you'll find elsewhere.

If you're like me and have already set up 10 tubs in anticipation for summer it should be as easy as dropping a mop in and watching the magic happen as they hatch out and grow.

Awesome fish, i bred my honey blue eyes outside last year and plan on having honey and spotted blue eyes this year.

• Like 1

Thanks man! I scored some free glass 3 ft aquariums I was going to use as my "tubs" but would love to hear some feedback on what tubs you use? And if you recommend mops just the standard acrylic wool ones or do you use real plants also? 

I have actually only a few weeks ago signed up to join my ANGFA NSW so I'd be very keen to keep an eye out on them and score some amazing stuff hopefully! 

I really want to do the furcatus, Gertrudae and luminatus if I can get all of them. Plus probly a bunch of the larger rainbow species. But I'm starting with the smaller ones. 

48 minutes ago, Blakes Aquatics said:

Hey cheers,

Yeah your best best is to connect with ANGFA  NSW and youll find heaps of breeders who will readily pass on mops or fish way cheaper than any you'll find elsewhere.

If you're like me and have already set up 10 tubs in anticipation for summer it should be as easy as dropping a mop in and watching the magic happen as they hatch out and grow.

Awesome fish, i bred my honey blue eyes outside last year and plan on having honey and spotted blue eyes this year.

Thanks for the quick reply Blake I knew he couldn’t find a better person with knowledge out there then you 🙂 and ps got me 5 Pseudomugil furcatus is that good enough to start breeding bro ? And do I just add the mop to the tank or what else do I need to do ? 

• 8 months later...

Hey guys,

I only have two Pseudomugil furcatus left, the females all died, and one male definitely bullies the other male.  None of my local (Colorado) LFS's ever get these in stock, can I put some female luminatus or Gertrudae in there instead?  I don't care if they breed or not, I just want to distract the bully.  

Thanks,

-Sarzke

I had a group of 12 pseudomugil luminatus. They would spawn all the time, but eggs/fry would get eaten. I would occasionally put plant clippings from that tank to a holding bucket and ended up with some accidental fry. I'd wait till they got big enough before putting them back in with their parents. But I never purposefully tried to breed them.

My favorite Rainbowfish is the Threadfin Rainbowfish  —Iriatherina werneri

i had seven in my 55 and their behavior was so interesting! The males constantly spar and flash their dorsal fins. Check out a video. They are incredible! 

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/7/2020 at 7:36 AM, KoolFish97 said:

Hey all! 

Hey mate! How’d you go with the breeding? 
I’m also from Australia, and looking to try breeding some luminatus. I’ve kept them before and tried to breed them as a pair, but failed. I’d like to go with the minimum size group necessary to breed. I’ve heard this is anywhere from 4-8 fish, with more females than males. The only ones I can find in Vic (that I’ve seen in the last 6 months) are $30 each, so I really don’t want to get more than necessary. But I also want to get enough I can be sure to breed them, otherwise I’ll be pretty bummed. If I breed them, I’ll make my money back (and then some) and get my ideal group size. If I can’t, then I’ll still really enjoy keeping them again, but it’ll be a big loss for me. So I’m trying to work out the sweet spot essentially. Did you succeed in breeding? And if so, with how many?

On 7/17/2021 at 11:56 PM, Crabby said:

Hey mate! How’d you go with the breeding? 
I’m also from Australia, and looking to try breeding some luminatus. I’ve kept them before and tried to breed them as a pair, but failed. I’d like to go with the minimum size group necessary to breed. I’ve heard this is anywhere from 4-8 fish, with more females than males. The only ones I can find in Vic (that I’ve seen in the last 6 months) are $30 each, so I really don’t want to get more than necessary. But I also want to get enough I can be sure to breed them, otherwise I’ll be pretty bummed. If I breed them, I’ll make my money back (and then some) and get my ideal group size. If I can’t, then I’ll still really enjoy keeping them again, but it’ll be a big loss for me. So I’m trying to work out the sweet spot essentially. Did you succeed in breeding? And if so, with how many?

Actually, to be super fair, I paid 20 each for my first pair, and a bit less for the school for 4 I got at (Un-Named online US fish retailer) I was seeing them for up to 35$ over here as well. Also not too sure about Dollerydoo to US-Monopoly money exchange at moment, but it could be that we are not too far off on price.

From what I understand, they are thought to be currently extinct in the wild. They come from a single stream in Papua New Guiney, and that stream has been heavily polluted by run off from a gold mine. I suspect this, and their relative rarity in the hobby, make them a pricey specimen. I think if they got more popular the price would come down though, and they have EVERY REASON to become SUPER popular. They are probably my favorite thing in my tanks right now.

Between their shockingly beautiful colors, unique sexually dimorphism, doofy and strange fins, fun behavior and relative ease of care and breeding they could be one of the next "things." then again, I am fairly new to the hobby and probably not fit to judge such things, I am just REALLY passionate about these awesome fish!!!

*Edited for clarity and humor*

Edited by RogueAquarium

Oh they’re extinct in the wild?! I had no idea! I was very interested in breeding honey blue eyes because they’re highly endangered in the wild but I could never find any for sale (besides @Blakes Aquatics who had some but I don’t believe he sells unfortunately). But if these guys are really endangered or extinct in the wild, that really inspires me to try breeding them. 

I’m quite surprised you paid that much for yours, I believe that’s about the same as my first pair cost me. I thought for some reason that besides a select few oddballish Aussie natives, most aquarium fish are more expensive in Australia than elsewhere (specifically the US). Maybe that’s just because I was forgetting to do conversion though.

I agree, they’re SUCH a wonderful fish. Their ‘doofy fins’ are rivalled only in cuteness by pseudomugil furcatus. One of my favourite fish that I’ve kept, which is why I got so excited to see them for sale at my LFS last night! Hopefully someone with experience breeding them can give me a clue as to whether I can get by with 5 like you, or whether I need to go for more. I’m hoping I can get down to the LFS very very soon before they sell out, but it’s tough because we’re in a lockdown right now.

On 7/18/2021 at 5:50 PM, Crabby said:

Oh they’re extinct in the wild?! I had no idea! I was very interested in breeding honey blue eyes because they’re highly endangered in the wild but I could never find any for sale (besides @Blakes Aquatics who had some but I don’t believe he sells unfortunately). But if these guys are really endangered or extinct in the wild, that really inspires me to try breeding them. 

I’m quite surprised you paid that much for yours, I believe that’s about the same as my first pair cost me. I thought for some reason that besides a select few oddballish Aussie natives, most aquarium fish are more expensive in Australia than elsewhere (specifically the US). Maybe that’s just because I was forgetting to do conversion though.

I agree, they’re SUCH a wonderful fish. Their ‘doofy fins’ are rivalled only in cuteness by pseudomugil furcatus. One of my favourite fish that I’ve kept, which is why I got so excited to see them for sale at my LFS last night! Hopefully someone with experience breeding them can give me a clue as to whether I can get by with 5 like you, or whether I need to go for more. I’m hoping I can get down to the LFS very very soon before they sell out, but it’s tough because we’re in a lockdown right now.

Hey I still have mine.

2 years now and i have only bred half a dozen after dragonfly nymphs wiped a bunch of pond fry out.

Last year was a very cold summer, i didn't get a single fry and have heard the same from a lot of other breeders so its super lean at the moment available stock.

If i ever have a surplus I would sell but then again what is a surplus 😅

I know Mick Khor is breeding quite a few luminatus in his outdoor tank setups but thats about it.

Best of luck.

Blake

Edited by Blakes Aquatics
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

I purchased 13 luminatus a while back.  I put them in a 10 gallon quarantine tank at 75 degrees, ph 7.6 and GH around 107 ppm, with a bunch of guppy grass.  They were in the tank for a month, and then I moved them to a larger tank.  I drained the water out of the quarantine tank and set it up in another location with new treated water.  I left the substrate and plants and decor undisturbed.  A week later, I found 3 fry in the tank.  

I expect that luminatus will eat their eggs and fry any chance they get.  Occasionally I grab guppy grass out of egg layer/scatterer tanks, and toss it in unoccupied tanks.  I get a variety of fry surprises.

I appear to have 3 females and 10 males, but there is no constant harassing of the females.  And the males are all pretty gentle, with just some mild displays.  They  have accepted a Red Beckfordii Pencilfish into the shoal, who was not happy living with its own kind.  

Good luck with your tubs.