Can someone tell if my guppy is pregnant?

sumera_fishkeeper

She looks like she is in early stages. The area I shaded red will enlarge and based on her coloration will most likely  be orange. Darker guppies turn black in that area it is called the gravid spot. When she is just about ready to give birth she will look distinctly square in the area and shape I marked. If it is her first drop she it could take extra weeks to drop. They can choose when to drop is my understanding. What I notice in my first time mommies is it takes quite a bit longer than the standard month in most. Some others barely look pregnant and drop a small drop. Signs to watch for to know she is almost ready are separating herself from the group, hovering near filters and they may hover at the surface near outflow or air bubbles. The pressure on them makes it more difficult to get oxygen. Usually if I see the hovering out outflows and bubbles I have fry by the next morning. Just do not be alarmed if it takes her an extra month for a first drop. Congratulations best of luck. Keep us posted. I LOVE guppy baby pictures 🥰

C4DB1847-DE16-4E06-907E-7B94A21AAD3B.jpeg

Edited by Guppysnail
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 12/18/2021 at 6:57 PM, Guppysnail said:

She looks like she is in early stages. The area I shaded red will enlarge and based on her coloration will most likely  be orange. Darker guppies turn black in that area it is called the gravid spot. When she is just about ready to give birth she will look distinctly square in the area and shape I marked. If it is her first drop she it could take extra weeks to drop. They can choose when to drop is my understanding. What I notice in my first time mommies is it takes quite a bit longer than the standard month in most. Some others barely look pregnant and drop a small drop. Signs to watch for to know she is almost ready are separating herself from the group, hovering near filters and they may hover at the surface near outflow or air bubbles. The pressure on them makes it more difficult to get oxygen. Usually if I see the hovering out outflows and bubbles I have fry by the next morning. Just do not be alarmed if it takes her an extra month for a first drop. Congratulations best of luck. Keep us posted. I LOVE guppy baby pictures 🥰

C4DB1847-DE16-4E06-907E-7B94A21AAD3B.jpeg

Currently my guppy is doing exactly what your doing, it’s separating herself from the group, hovering near filters. So is my guppy gonna have fry the next morning?

If she is doing that I would say in the next few days. The young first time moms are unpredictable. As I said I had a few first timers barely look pregnant that popped a few fry out. 

To give even less clarity 🤣 I separate my boys and girls very early to prevent pregnancy. This last batch I took to the LFS none looked pregnant and I thought I had all the boys out but found one in the tank a week after I removed the rest to separate tanks. I took the girls to the LFS and came home to clean the tank to find 3 newborn fry hiding in plants  🤣

• Thanks 1

looking at the photo, odds are that guppy is pregnant. any time a male and female guppy reside in the same tank, odds are good. however it doesnt look likes she is anywhere close to giving birth. like said above though, they sometimes dont show a lot, but usually the abdomen will square off a bit when they start getting close.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

When she's ready to have her babies, she'll go toward the top of the water close to plant leaves that reach the surface. Her babies need to swim to the surface to gulp air to fill their swim bladder as soon as they are born, and then they'll pretty much stay in those leaves at the surface to hide from predators, including their parents. In the wild, the female will swim as close to the shoreline as possible to have her babies so they can hide in plants and algae in the shallows. When your female is ready, her gravid spot will be a dark brown, almost black, or totally black. When she has her babies, mark the date on a calendar, if she's healthy, she'll probably have babies every six weeks, and you'll be ready.🙂 

• Thanks 1

On 12/23/2021 at 10:35 AM, lefty o said:

pretty soon you will have so many being born every month, you'll just shake your head. the first time you get baby guppies is very cool though.

I'm still excited every time I see new fry, but yes, at the rate that they are appearing now, there are only so many more months this can continue before I have to quit my day job to stay home and divide up juvenile guppies by sex.

@sumera_fishkeeper, congratulations and have fun watching them grow!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1