Brine Shrimp ??

BuzzDaddy21

On 12/12/2021 at 7:36 PM, BuzzDaddy21 said:

So, you hatch some brine shrimp to feed a few fish and said fish pig out on them.

How long do they live for and what happens when they die out? 

Just to clarify:

Are you asking (1) How long do [brine shrimp] live for? and (2) when do [brine shrimp] die out??

I believe they die off soon since they need saltwater. They also need food after they use up their yolk sack. That is why it is recommended to feed them in a certain hour range after hatching since they will still be healthy and living off of their yolk sack. There are some great videos on Youtube about the life cycle of the brine shrimp I recommend you check them out! I have never even hatched brine shrimp but it is entertaining to know about them!

• Thanks 1

On 12/12/2021 at 10:45 PM, Fish Folk said:

Are you asking (1) How long do [brine shrimp] live for? and (2) when do [brine shrimp] die out??

Yes, I should have said that, sorry.

On 12/12/2021 at 11:28 PM, StockEwe49 said:

There are some great videos on Youtube about the life cycle of the brine shrimp

Yes, I`ve seen some of those.

I maybe should have asked what their die off does to the water if anything.

On 12/13/2021 at 8:05 AM, BuzzDaddy21 said:

Yes, I should have said that, sorry.

Yes, I`ve seen some of those.

I maybe should have asked what their die off does to the water if anything.

I'm not sure how long they live in the tank. It shouldn't be an issue unless you are way over feeding them. 

I take the extra brine shrimp and rinse them in tap water then freeze them in these ice trays. Then feed the cubes throughout the week.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Brine shrimp die in freshwater within 24 hrs. If your aquarium is small in volume, and if, as has already been cautioned, you overfeed, the result will be a slight spike in ammonia. Provided your aquarium is well-established with biological filtration, it will process that fairly easily. If you have a planted tank, plants can help to absorb an ammonia spike as well. One thing you’ll find if you’re feeding bbs a lot is the appearance of nuisance hydra. They’ll appear en mass if you’re feeding fry bbs daily. 

Edited by Fish Folk
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 12/13/2021 at 9:31 AM, Fish Folk said:

Brine shrimp die in freshwater within 24 hrs. If your aquarium is small in volume, and if, as has already been cautioned, you overfeed, the result will be a slight spike in ammonia. Provided your aquarium is well-established with biological filtration, it will process that fairly easily. If you have a planted tank, plants can help to absorb an ammonia spike as well. One thing you’ll find if you’re feeding bbs a lot is the appearance of nuisance hydra. They’ll appear en mass if you’re feeding fry bbs daily. 

Agree completely but want to add the hydra will cyst up in 2-3 weeks after you stop bbs and powdered food so they pose no great threat. Even in my CPD hatch tank I never seen them get large enough to take a fry. Doesn’t mean it didn’t happen but it unlikely. 

• Like 1

On 12/13/2021 at 9:16 AM, Wingman12r said:

I take the extra brine shrimp and rinse them in tap water then freeze them in these ice trays. Then feed the cubes throughout the week

I have to say that worked very well, NO that idea was great.

I did freeze some in trays (not much water) & in a guart bag, then hit with hammer to get small pieces. (Not feeding many fish)

Was interesting to watch ice melt & brine shrimp falling straight down, guppies went crazy.

Thanks again.

• Like 1