Appropriate placement of Murphy sticker

meadeam

I think we have 20ish state boats on Puget Sound and at least two on the Columbia. Then there are multiple county boats. Some serve vehicle traffic on smaller islands and some are fast catamaran style boats that serve as passenger only boats. 
The biggest car ferries carry over 200 cars pet trip.

I think BC might have 40 boats and some are huge and much more luxurious compared to our utilitarian ones in WA. The longer BC runs even have a fine dining section with big floor to Ceiling windows. A trip from Vancouver to Vancouver/Victoria island is a real treat on those boats. 

47CA2289-DBD7-496D-8D3F-594C5399924F.jpeg

• Like 3

On 12/7/2021 at 6:10 PM, Patrick_G said:

47CA2289-DBD7-496D-8D3F-594C5399924F.jpeg

One of my favorite books was set (and maybe written?) on Vashon Island. Betty McDonald's "Onions in the Stew". She was one of my kids' favorite authors and I really loved her memoir. I hope there is a cultish appreciation for her history there!

On 12/7/2021 at 8:44 PM, PineSong said:

One of my favorite books was set (and maybe written?) on Vashon Island. Betty McDonald's "Onions in the Stew". She was one of my kids' favorite authors and I really loved her memoir. I hope there is a cultish appreciation for her history there!

I read that so many years ago!  I think I've read all her books at one time or another, even Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle, which my kids thought was hysterical because we had a store called the Piggly Wiggly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/7/2021 at 10:34 PM, lindabee53 said:

I read that so many years ago!  I think I've read all her books at one time or another, even Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle, which my kids thought was hysterical because we had a store called the Piggly Wiggly.

Got Piggly wiggly stores in my region, just not local (Ingles is). My mom had one in SC, and she always referred to shopping for groceries as "going to the pig". 🐷

• Like 2

On 12/7/2021 at 9:34 PM, lindabee53 said:

Ooh, Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle was a favorite in my family growing up! I wasn't aware of the author's other books though, sounds like something I'll have to check out. We also have Piggly Wiggly in our area but usually went to Pick n Save instead - an equally silly name but lacking the literary connection.

I commuted to and from downtown Seattle from Bainbridge for several years, always as a walk-on, or on a bicycle.  It was a great way to commute, and though I got tired of it sometimes I made sure to appreciate the uniqueness of the mode of travel.  Now that I don't live there anymore I'm glad I did.

Photo 1: Leaving Eagle Harbor on either the MV Tacoma or the MV Wenatchee.

Photo 2: Halfway across, looking  toward Alki and  that big mountain.

eagleharbor.jpeg.9572e9d434a07fce2bf393d3ed8ae478.jpegwestseattle.jpeg.8d3602b16d116b8352664d933b1b95bf.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 12/7/2021 at 6:44 PM, PineSong said:

She’s well know in the Pacific Northwest, especially for her book “The Egg and I”. Her former farm on the Island is run as a BnB. 

On 12/8/2021 at 4:54 AM, meadeam said:

I commuted to and from downtown Seattle from Bainbridge for several years, always as a walk-on, or on a bicycle.  It was a great way to commute, and though I got tired of it sometimes I made sure to appreciate the uniqueness of the mode of travel.  Now that I don't live there anymore I'm glad I did.

My wife commutes by bike year round rain or shine, although she goes into work much less since Covid. 

• Like 1

On 12/7/2021 at 11:24 PM, Jawjagrrl said:

Got Piggly wiggly stores in my region, just not local (Ingles is). My mom had one in SC, and she always referred to shopping for groceries as "going to the pig". 🐷

We didn't have one where we lived in NC, but there was one where my mom lived in NW Florida, and we did say "going to the pig."  In NC, there was an Ingles on the street behind us and maybe a block away.  For my kids, it was a rite of passage to be able to walk to Ingles with an older sibling.

• Like 1