melting Crypts

Robin

This tank has been set up for about five years. The Crypts are a forest and have been in the tank for two or three years. The substrate in the tank is five year old eco complete. The crypts seem to be starting to melt. I've never used any root tabs until recently for a amazon sword. I have only used Easy Green and Easy Carbon. Could it be the crypts also need root tabs?

15 minutes ago, Candi said:

Crypts are heavy root feeders, so root tabs are needed. Sometimes crypts just melt, if there is a change in water parameters or even temperature. 

They are so dense in that section of the tank I don't know how I'd get root tabs under them. I've been thinking of pulling more of them out and putting something else in, maybe I'll do that if they continue on.

to me it sounds like maybe the eco complete has depleted what nutrients it had and isn’t absorbing the fertilizer you are putting into the water column as well. root tabs would be what i recommend to help replenish that. crypts are pretty heavy root feeders from my experience as well. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Ken Burke said:

So my problem is a little different.  I had a pretty serious ammonia spike a while back, now my crypts completely melter.  I cleaned up the dead/dying leaves.  I assume the Amonia is the culprit, and the will come back, but.....

I'm not sure what was going on with mine but they stopped melting. I think, I over dosed with easy carbon. Things stabilized and the melting stopped.