Auto water change temperature adjustment

TrueNorth

Hello 

I am building currently a semi auto water change system for my aquarium rack. 

The tap water will be going through a 3 stage filter system (sediment, gac, cto) to a water manifold to supply fresh water to all the tanks.

I would like to put in a water temperature mixing valve before it enters the 3 stage filter to be able to adjust water temperature.

My problem is I can only find mixing valves with a water mixing temperature rating above 80⁰F. But I want to make water changes in the low to mid 70⁰F range.

Does anyone can point me in the right direction of finding the right mixing valve or has an other suggestion on how to accomplish the temp adjustment easily. 

Thank you for all your help in advance. 

LF1170 models can be set to any temperature between 90 degrees F and 160 degrees F with flow rates as low as 0.5 gpm and as high as 23 gpm. LFL1170-M2 models can be set at a range between 60 degrees F and 120 degrees F. Available with threaded (-UT), solder (-US), PEX Quick-Connect (-QC) or CPVC connections. Maximum Pressure: 150psi (10 bar). Lead Free* cast copper silicon alloy body construction.

this is info directly from the manufacturer.

search google for LFL1170-M2 0559110

another valve option is the honeywell sparco am-1 its range is 70-180

search google for AM100-US-1LF

From another post similar to this subject. 

I ended up using this chinese valve from amazon because it was cheap and available. Its lowest setting is 68* F and has been working for me. The low temp thermostatic valves were either out of stock forever or came in a configuration that made installation difficult, mostly sweat/solder and odd size pipe.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@s1_ awesome thank you very much for the info. I will do a Google search and hopefully can order one online. 

The cheap Chinese one of Amazon you are using is like the one I had on my Amazon wish list but is not available anymore and similar ones don't adjust the temperature that low.

Thanks again 

• 2 months later...

Hi, Does anyone know if any of these mixing valves need a recirc line built in? Or do you dump water until it gets up to temp? Ive looked at instructions for many and its not very clear to me how hot water flows enough to make the valve happy and hot for mixing. Can these be used with tankless water heaters also? Or only tanked heaters?

Ive paused @Dean’s Fishroom videos many times trying to figure out that bit of plumbing with no success! What am I missing? 

The thermostatic mixing valves can be compared to a preset shower valve.

Room/pipe/ground temp water has to flow through the valve before heated water from either type of heater can replace it and be mixed.

I think they are designed more for overtemp and antiscald protection. The preset is the max allowed temp which is why its so challenging to find one with a temperature range low enough to be fishroom worthy.

When using the mixing valves for water changes you will need to dump water until it comes to temperature. Or you can use that water in tanks that aren't as sensitive to cool water. In my case I'm lucky my water heater is 3 feet from my mixing valve so getting to temperature is very quick.  They will work with tankless water heaters. 

• Like 1